Author Topic: Nottingham Street?????  (Read 6932 times)

Offline buffa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nottingham Street?????
« on: Monday 16 September 13 13:31 BST (UK) »

Can anyone tell me if the following Streets/Addresses still exist?
 46 Allison Rise,
 80 Alfred St South,
 9 Palm St,
 Dame Agnes St,
 7 Sinker Alley,
 33 Yorke St,
 2 Windsor St,
 121 Mount Square,
 6 Barley Court,
 7 Salmon Yard,
 16 Bullock Yard,
 195 Mansfield Road,
 30 Stewart Place,

I know it might be a long shot...but thanks in advance for any help, and if there is any 1900's photos of these Streets that would be so cool.

Cheers, Buffa
Lowe, Owen, Smith, Brown, Revell, Collinson, Stringfellow (Nottingham Area)

Leaper, Fearn, McGill, Davidson, Doig, Jolly, Galbraith (Scotland)

Hillstrand, Pearson, Person, Bregtson (Sweden & USA)

Cheers, Buffa

Redwater, Alberta Canada

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham Street?????
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 September 13 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have not looked through them but there are lots of Nottingham postcard pictures here
http://www.francisfrith.com/nottingham/

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 September 13 15:58 BST (UK) »
Some of those street names are familiar as my OAKLAND ancestors who owned brickworks in the city also owned whole streets of houses, certainly Sinker Alley, York Street, Andrew Court and Salmon Place.  OAKLAND families were in and out of houses in that area seemingly whenever they needed a roof over their heads thanks to a benevolent rich Oakland.  I believe that Sinker Alley disappeared in the mid /late 1880s, sometime after my Grandmother's sister was born at number 8.  York Street survived and grew until around 1891 when a large part of it was demolished before 1900.  Oaklands Buildings formed part of York Street in the 1861 census.  Unfortunately, as these things happen, the family business eventually went to a wastrel and that as they say was that!! 

I know this isn't exactly the information you asked for, but I hope it might be interesting background. 

NC.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 September 13 17:47 BST (UK) »
Buffa there may be something for you here....http://www.ivanlea.net/sub_pages/notts_maps.htm
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline buffa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 September 13 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all...I was just wondering, these are family addresses I picked up off Census', Birth & Marriage Certificates ETC.

Find that cool that you had someone living nextdoor to my Family Nottschick....my Great Grandmother Eva Owen was living there with her Parents and Grandmother. Small World!

Cheers, Buffa

Redwater, Alberta Canada

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham Street?
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 20:49 BST (UK) »
If the 195 Mansfield Road is the one in the city then the building is still there.  193 and 195 are joined together as a shop on the ground floor (US first floor - not sure what Canadians call it!).  Looks like a three storey Victorian build, flat fronted with straight stone arches over the windows.  That entire stretch of Mansfield Road is shops, don't know whether that's how it's always been though quite likely as it's the main road from the north into the town centre.

Alfred Street South still exists but it is all industrial units - the "back to back" victorian houses were pulled down many years ago during a redevelopment of the entire area.

Dame Agnes Street is also long gone.  It was parallel to and north of Manning Street, off Woodborough Road, south of Alexander Park.

Don't know about Yorke Street but there was (still is in part) a York Street.  Again no houses anymore, just part of the complex of Victoria Shopping Centre, near the bus station.

None of the others are familiar to me.

Cheers, Sherwood.
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline buffa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 October 13 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sherwood....I know there was lots of changes in Nottingham over the years, but thought it might be a shot...if they were still standing photos would have been great but such is life.

Cheers, Buffa

Cheers, Buffa

Redwater, Alberta Canada

Offline Robert Smith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 November 13 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Buffa. Just out of interest I had family visiting 10 Sinker Alley on the day of the 1881 Census. I spotted your entry because I'm also trying to find if it still exists.
Regards Bob

Offline JCibz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 November 13 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Buffa,

In 1891 I had family living at 1, Palm Street.

The street still exists.  You can see it on google maps although it looks to be an industrial area now.

Julie
England: Basford Nottingham :Crossland
West Yorkshire:Balmforth,Mitchell, Mewis, Tyrrell.
Skirbeck Lincs: Fawcett
Bradfield st clare Suffolk: Howe
Dunbarton Scotland : Campbell, Docherty, Allen
County Sligo Ireland: Allen, Cryan