Author Topic: Cairns Family  (Read 3590 times)

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cairns Family
« on: Monday 16 September 13 23:08 BST (UK) »
I wonder if someone can help me trace what happened to the following family.   Agnes Cairns was the mother and she had three illegitimate children.   Jane born Ancrum 1866, James born Roxburgh 1874 and Thomas born 1880 at Ancrum.   Agnes their mother was an Ag. Labourer.   I have not been able to find Jane after the 1881 Census.   At that time she was staying with her mother and brothers and grandparents at Broom Farm Cottage near Ancrum.   Thereafter I cannot trace her.   Agnes and the boys I cannot find after 1891 when they are living at Lanton Mill Cottages.   Agnes's mother Jane Cairns(she was Jane Chisholm) is living there with them too.  Jane (the mother) died soon after so they must have moved away somewhere.

Any help much appreciated as there might be something very obvious that I am missing.

Bina :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cairns Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 September 13 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

For tracing purposes - Agnes was b Sprouston 1846 as per 1891 entry and Sprouston 1843 as per 1881

By 1891 Jane was 25 and may have married.  Have you checked Scotlands People for a marriage for her

A possible 1901 for Thomas could be indexed as Kerss aged 23 b Roxburgh

Did Agnes report her mothers death?  Have you checked SP for a death for Agnes

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 20:32 BST (UK) »
I have checked Scotlandspeople for marriages and deaths.   Yes Agnes was born at Sprouston in approx 1843.   I have her daughter Jane's birth certificate and her full name was Jane Chisholm Cairns and she was born on19th April 1865 at Sandystanes in the parish of Ancrum, Roxburghshire.   Her mother is described as an outdoor servant and her father, James Cairns, registered the birth.   The name Chisholm is Agnes's mother's maiden name.   In fact this child Jane is called after her grandmother Jane Cairns.   

I have downloaded a number of marriages and deaths for Jane but all are incorrect.

The grandmother Jane Cairns died at Lanton Mill on 13th December 1891.   In the 1891 cesus she was living there with her daughter Agnes.   Jane's son James registered the death.

It really is a mystery as to what happened to Agnes, daughter Jane and sons Thomas and James.

Carole I'm not sure what you mean about Kerrs.   Do you mean that someone has written or transcribed Kerrs for Cairns?

Brina.

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 20:41 BST (UK) »
Had a look at the Kerss and don't think any of them are the Cairns boys.

Brina ;D

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

Had a look at the Kerss and don't think any of them are the Cairns boys

Not sure which entry you are looking at as there is only one Thomas Kerss b 1878 Roxburgh.  he was a lodger occ gamekeeper and living in Dumbarton
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 22:54 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at this Thomas Kerss and it definitely isn't him.   Thanks for looking though.

I have been wondering if the whole family emigrated but cannot trace them that way either.   A huge mystery.

Offline tassie1857

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 07:49 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you have solved this issue.  James (son of Agnes) married Jane Aikman (my 1st cousin 3 removed)on 26 June 1903 at Linton, Scotland.  At the time he had an address at 22 Bensham Cres, Gateshead, Durham, England.  If need further info let me know.

Noel

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Noel,
 How delighted I was to see your message this morning.   I have been searching for James and his brother Thomas for a number of years now.   I have only recently discovered where their older sister Jane Chisholm Cairns moved to.   She married Thomas Shiel.

I would be absolutely delighted to receive any more information about James.  Do you happen to have any info on his mother Agnes and brother Thomas too.   I wondered if they had all moved away from Lanton Mill together and for a while I did consider that they had moved abroad.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Jean

Offline tassie1857

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 October 16 10:35 BST (UK) »
Jean

Following I have about James Cairns and mention of his mother.

James Cairns

Birth record
On 21 August 1874 Agnes Cairns (Field Worker) gave birth to James (Illegitimate child) at Sunlaws Hill, Roxburgh. 

Marriage record
On 26 June 1903, James Cairns (General Labourer) aged 29yrs married Jane Aikman (Field Worker) aged 30yrs at Greenlees, Parish of Linton.  James’ usual residence listed as 22 Bensham Cres, Gateshead, England whilst Jane was living at Greenlees.
The record lists Agnes Cairns, Field Worker as mother – no father identified.  Jane’s parents were James Aikman (Farm Servant – deceased) and Isabella Aikman (nee Huggan).

Birth Record
On 21 March 1904, Jane gave birth to a baby girl (Isabella Huggan Cairns) at Greenlees, Parish of Linton.  Informant was James Cairns listed as being a Gas Worker living at 22 Bensham Crescent, Gateshead.

Noel