Author Topic: Lydia Southgate - born Holloway/Islington 1875  (Read 7155 times)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lydia Southgate - born Holloway/Islington 1875
« Reply #27 on: Friday 27 September 13 11:17 BST (UK) »
Okay, got birth certificate through for Lydia:

ISLINGTON sub district West Islington
Born: 21 Feb 1875   8 Kinloch Street
Name: Lydia
Sex: Girl
Father: William Flood
Name & maiden name of mother: Lydia Flood formerly Southgate
Occupation of father: Cheese monger Shopman
Signature description and residence of informant: X the mark of Lydia Flood, Mother, 8 Kinloch Street Islington
When registered: 2 Apr 1875

That gives us a new address Kinloch Street which is now a stub road off Hornsey Road just south of Seven Sisters Road.  This must have been a brand new street then as it doesn't show up on 1871 street map but is definitely there in 1895 one.

Also they are pretty clearly living as a married couple despite no other evidence of a marriage.  I'd wondering whether to start looking a border marriages as her mother would have been way underage.

Still waiting for the will.

Pete
Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 27 September 13 14:22 BST (UK) »
Kinloch Street is on the 1881 census, but they must have moved on by then as another family are there.

Copies of probates take 10-14 days from receipt of cheque if everything goes to plan at Leeds.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 27 September 13 14:40 BST (UK) »
Kinloch Street is on the 1881 census, but they must have moved on by then as another family are there.

So no sign of William Flood there then ?

That was my original start point.  On 1881 census Lydia Flood (nee Southgate) is at Poplar workhouse under her maiden name with 3 of her children.  Something must have gone very badly wrong with the "marriage"  :'( 

Copies of probates take 10-14 days

Got 4 on order at moment, I will have some work to do going through those !...   :D

Pete
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline frenchman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 28 April 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi my family name is Flood, I know that William Theophilus roger Flood was a great uncle running a grocers shop and down through the line they where pawn brokers living in Peckham.

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 28 April 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi frenchman, your William Theophilus Roger Flood came up earlier in this conversation as user Ladyhawk found various details with him being born about 1830 (scroll back to page 3 this conversation for all the details). Neither he nor his son William Coller Flood fit (William born 1857 was a Pawn Broker on 1881 census, there are lots of records for him, died 1927 and is buried in a family plot in Tower Hamlets cemetery). 

Since this conversation I managed to find my William Flood actually disappeared because he'd stolen £300 in gold from his employer and legged it with his boss's maid.  I've found no trace of him after 1879 and I think he must have left the country as he seems never to have been caught.  The Police Gazette "wanted" listing for him in Nov 1879 puts his birth date about 1852 (age given as 27).  In addition I have an Ancestry DNA match with someone whose Flood family were based in Islington but I've just not been able to definitively tie down the right William Flood birth as there are a several but they all seem excluded by later records  ::)  Lydia was left destitute and in desperation left her two daughters (including my great great grandmother) on Primrose Hill in hope someone would find them and take them in, she was prosecuted and jailed for abandoning them thus later her ending up in the workhouse.

Obviously I've still to track down the origins of William "the cheesemongering thieving wife deserter" Flood as the black sheep of my family tree  :-[  so welcome any extra possible leads to follow !

William Flood in Police Gazette
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12ViPbhyHc9mPh2KLNI86YUbzrw0X_KuP

Lydia Flood/Southgate charged with abandoning her children
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tPbCaKMHd02G4W6X34fn0AFm8dOHVnSK

Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire