Author Topic: Help needed on Ellen Coupe/ Cope possibly born Balderstone  (Read 1833 times)

Offline judyflute

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed on Ellen Coupe/ Cope possibly born Balderstone
« on: Tuesday 17 September 13 16:01 BST (UK) »
My husband's GG Grandmother is Ellen COPE/COUPE possibly born in Balderstone circa 1815, she is proving very hard to track down. She is named as the mother of Henry WILCOX of Walsall, Staffordshire on his birth certficate in 1851 - the spelling of her surname being Copo, in 1858 it was Cope on her son James birth certificate. Both birth certificates imply she was married to their father James WILCOX however I just cannot find a marriage for the couple. On the 1851 census she was in Walsall as Ellen COPE, born Balderston, Lancashire and was housekeeper to James WILCOX. In 1861 she was Ellen WILCOX born Brodston, Lincolnshire and in 1871 she said she was born in Walsall. She died in 1874.
I have found a possible baptism that fits nicely in Balderstone - Ellen Coupe bap 1815 d/o Richard and Jane COUPE (nee Anderton)but am not 100% sure that this is correct as I don't definitely know the name of Ellen's father. The mother Jane died in Balderstone in 1831 and was buried in Samlesbury as was daughter Elizabeth/ Betty who was buried in Samlesbury in 1818. Richard & Jane's son George (born 1819) stayed in Balderstone and married Mary Sowerbutts BUT I don't know what happened to Richard (born c1795) and his daughter Jane (born 1824 Balderstone), they are together in Mellor Brow in 1841 but after that they disappear into thin air.
Any help with this family will be greatly appreciated as I'm just going nowhere with them.
Judy
Shropshire: ELLISON, PORTER, ASTBURY, LOWE, BOTFIELD, WYCHERLEY, LEE, BICKERTON

Staffordshire:ELLISON, COPE, LEE, ASTBURY,TAYLOR, JEFFRIES, PIPER, TAFT, ROBINS, GRIFFITHS, TRUBSHAW, HARRISON, APPLEBY

Leicestershire: TAYLOR, SYKES, PEGG

Oxfordshire : UPTON, SAVAGE, NICHOLLS, WATKINS, CARTER, PARGITER, WING

Hampshire: JEFFERY, MARSHALL, BUDD, BARTHOLOMEW

Northamptonshire: ROBINS, MOLSHER RIVETT, FRENCH

Cheshire: ELLISON & BAKER

Warwickshire: WILKS, TOWNSEND, WYCHERLEY, TARVER, WATKINS

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed on Ellen Coupe/ Cope possibly born Balderstone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 16:48 BST (UK) »
This one is stated 30 rather than 20, so most probably not yours,
St Leonard the Less Samlesbury
28th Feb 1844
aged 30
abode Hole Tenement,

Lancashire BMD gives her age as 30 to,Jane Coup death registered Walton Le Dale,Preston 1844
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline judyflute

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 September 13 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Radcliff, it's much appreciated. Ellen herself ended up in Walsall, Staffs so I'm wondering if Jane did too though I can't find her on the censuses. I also can't find the father Richard after 1841, his death doesn't appear on the Lancashire OPC. There were a couple of Richard Coupes around on the 1851, were both weavers (correct occupation) but neither were from or living in Balderstone.
Judy

Staffordshire:ELLISON, COPE, LEE, ASTBURY,TAYLOR, JEFFRIES, PIPER, TAFT, ROBINS, GRIFFITHS, TRUBSHAW, HARRISON, APPLEBY

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 September 13 16:54 BST (UK) »
I've just found a Richard Coupe who died in 1867 aged 70 registration district PRESTON?
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline simpsonsmad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 June 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
hi I'm also having trouble with ellen cope she is also my g g grandmother i was wandering if you have been able to find out any more info looking at 1851 census record she is Unmarried but james wilcox my g g grandad is married.This makes me think that James was married before but cant find any records for any marriages
Adrian

Offline judyflute

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 June 17 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian,
You must be related to my husband (James & Ellen are his 2x G Grandparents), which Wilcox are you connected to? I can't find a marriage for James Wilcox to Ellen Cope/ Coupe at all and I haven't found a first marriage for him (might be worth checking St. Matthew's, Walsall records?). After Ellen's death he married Charlotte in Pelsall but in 1881 she's in the workhouse and he is living with Henry & Elizabeth (he died not long after so presumably he was being nursed).
I've found Ellen's baptism in Balderstone but like Ellen the rest of the family apart from her brother George seem to have left the area in the 1840's.

Judy

Offline simpsonsmad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 June 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for that .My great grandad is Henry wilcox and my grandma is eveline wilcox
which wilcox is your husband connected to
Adrian

Offline judyflute

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 June 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,
My husband's grandmother is Ellen Elizabeth, Eveline's slightly older sister. My late mother in law spoke about Aunt Eveline (it was such a big family that she couldn't remember all her aunts and uncles). I've been doing family history for years and you're the first Wilcox cousin I've come into contact with! I'll private message you later so we can compare notes, at the moment I can't open my family history programme but as soon as I can I'll let you know what I have.

Judy

Offline simpsonsmad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 June 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
That will be great i have lots of info on family search but i cant access website at mo on any device
think there is a problem with website
Adrian