Author Topic: Riddick family from portarlington Co kildare  (Read 9717 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Riddick family from portarlington Co kildare
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 20:40 BST (UK) »
There's more than one family tree online with what looks like the same portrait photograph and it's likely that some of the details have been taken from the other trees.

You can view the Valuation Revision Books to trace the ownership/tenants of a property (a continuation from the printed version of Griffith's Valuation). If you were to start with the 1911 mill and work back it might sort out some details. Also, birth certificates for the children will list exact places of birth rather than the registration district or sub-district.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline marcia64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 September 13 07:18 BST (UK) »
I will do, thank you for your help, advice and tips i no a lot of names and as a family i have a lot of photos left from my grandmother of this side of the family. now its more trying to go back a little and build up a picture of who they were. Things get changed as they passed down in families  you need to be a detective to work out whats what really> you have given me something that i didn't consider looking at so will do that next and look at who owned the mill ect thank you

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 September 13 08:14 BST (UK) »
Have you got this already?
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/details.jsp?id=1639304218

John Riddick died 30 Nov 1910 late of  Portarlington mill owner leaving Elizabeth effects of £228 4s 7d

Offline marcia64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 September 13 20:17 BST (UK) »
for some reason i thought john was born in 1845 how stupid of me to over look that so your marriage to Elizabeth Curran must be right that is a massive help to me it really is thank you, i could kick myself for been wrong all this time thank you

Offline R Mathews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 10:04 BST (UK) »
 Hi there.
          I too am trying to trace the Riddick family who lived in Portarlington and have acquired some material on the subject.   Can you please email me at Removed

Ronnie Mathews

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline R Mathews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 September 15 19:37 BST (UK) »

Re John Riddick I have some Portarlington sales invoices and receipts signed by him over the period 1897 1910 also some further information on his family

Are you interested?

Ronnie Mathews, Portarlington.

Offline sparksss67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
Patrick Riddick was one of the sons of John and Elizabeth and he was born in 1885.  He married Catherine Murphy on 24 September 1919 in St Andrew's, Dublin.   Catherine was a sister of my great grandfather Daniel and was from Rathdrum in Co. Wicklow.  Patrick passed away on 15 September 1947 and is buried with his wife in St. Fintans, Deansgrange Dublin.

I hope this is of some interest, cheers.

Murphy, Broe, Canavan, Acton, Byrne - Wicklow.
Murray - Castlepollard
Murphy - Enfield
Redmond - Ballygarret

Offline R Mathews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 18:10 BST (UK) »
Patrick Riddick was one of the sons of John and Elizabeth and he was born in 1885.  He married Catherine Murphy on 24 September 1919 in St Andrew's, Dublin.   Catherine was a sister of my great grandfather Daniel and was from Rathdrum in Co. Wicklow.  Patrick passed away on 15 September 1947 and is buried with his wife in St. Fintans, Deansgrange Dublin.

I hope this is of some interest, cheers.

Offline Kamilla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 November 15 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Marciano. Because I'm familiar with the areas you mention this is how I would explain the differences.  Portarlington used to be major train connection station and is situated in Co Laois. However the train journey as I recall from Kildare Station to Portarlington station was only about 15-20 minutes down the line.
Take the same train the opposite way ( towards Dublin) The next stop down the line is Newbridge.
 Today Athgarvan can still be a 20 min bike ride /10 min car drive to Kildare station ) and is situated near the plains of Kildare alongside Brownstown and the Curragh Camp - famous Irish race track and also training for (Irish Defence Forces). CELBRIDGE is 3 miles away.
Family more likely lived in Kildare and surrounding areas & (nearer to Dublin city & maternity hospital at that time). Breadwinner no doubt worked in Portarlington.
History Not so different than some of my own relatives.