Author Topic: William Sharp of Sandhole by Tillicoultry  (Read 17315 times)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Sharp of Sandhole by Tillicoultry
« on: Saturday 21 September 13 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

The above named person was the son of William Sharp & Christina Wright, born 18 March 1871 in Tillicoultry (IGI). On the 4th January, 1888, a child, William McGregor, was born to Maggie McGregor in Milnathort, Orwell, Kinross. The birth record has William's name upon it. Later, on 2nd May 1889, the Sherrif's court of Clackmannan, endorsed the fact that the above named William Sharp of Sandhole, by Tillicoultry as the  official father of the child of Maggie McGregor.

I think Sandhole was a sand quarry not far from Tillicoultry, does anyone know anything more than that, or can suggest how I might find more about it? It would appear that William was living there in 1889, in 1891 he was in Tillicoultry with a woman called Elizabeth Sharp, whom I think is his step-mother, also a sister called Janet and a brother called Thomas.

Tom

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Sharp of Sandhole by Tillicoultry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 September 13 21:45 BST (UK) »
The National Library of Scotland maps website will give you free access to old maps of the area. If you click on the "Series" maps, you will find large-scale 19th century Ordnance Survey maps which should show Sandhole.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 September 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
GR2

Thanks I found the sand pit, right opposite the cemetery, now need to find out who may have owned it around 18880-1893.

There was a druid temple found there it would seem.

Tom

Offline pumpkinlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 20:17 BST (UK) »
I am interested in your research.  I believe William Sharp (born 1871) is my great grandfather. 

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi pumpkin lady

How fascinating, okay we'll he's not a relation of mine either but I know someone apart from you who is related to him. William seems to disappear after 1891, I can't find him in the census after that. No doubt you will know about his son William who emigrated to USA and settled in Massachusetts. Do you anything more about this Sandhole & William Sharp?

Tom

Offline pumpkinlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 September 13 14:54 BST (UK) »
William Sharp's son, (William McGregor) who immigrated to Massachusetts around 1912,  is my grandfather.  I don't know anything about Sandhole.  I have been researching this for a long time and have come up with nothing.  Do you know if William Sharp ever married?

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 September 13 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Pumpkin Lady

This is is the clue about Sandhole & Tillicouitry:

Register of Corrected Entries for the Parish of Orwell in the County of Kinross.

In the Fourth Column of Entry No. 4 in the Register Book of Births for the year 1888, before the Name of the Child’s mother insert William Sharp on the authority of a certificate in the Form Schedule F to the following effect:- In an action relating to the paternity of a child named William McGregor born 4th January 1888, at the instance of Maggie McGregor, Domestic Servant, Milnathort with consent Concurrence of David McGregor, shoemaker, Town Hall, Milnathort, aforesaid as her curator in law against William Sharp, Sandhole by Tillicoultry the Sherriff Court of Clackmannan on the 27th day of March, 1889 found that the child was the illegitimate child of the Parties aforesaid.

Milnathort, 2nd May 1889, Alex Millar, Registrar.

On William McGregor's birth certificate, which I will send you, William Sharp is named as the father, but not by William Sharp, but by William McGregor's grandfather, who registered the birth. Either William Sharp disputed this document or the Parish sought to clarify matters so as not to be liable for care of the child should either the mother or his grandfather die.

At present I can't find anything more about William Sharp beyond 1891 when he is at home in Tillicoultry with his step-mum Elizabeth. Without a subscription to Scotland's People or access to the local newspaper for Tillicoultry, which might have mentioned things about either Sandhole or William Sharp, it's difficult to trace any further. Maybe he went off to fight in the Boer War.

I will send you a PM.

Tom

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 October 13 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hi - Don't have much info re William Sharp (jnr) born 1871, but from my notes (yes he is a relative somewhere along the line)  ;)
What I do have !!!!

William Sharp (snr) born 1844 at Tillicoultry. parents (to the best of my knowledge) John & Ann Sharp. 
William (snr) married Christian Wright 22 May 1868 at Dollar, Clackmannanshire.
Children - Christian Sharp 1869 Dollat, William 1871 (entry does say Downside ??), George 1880 Alloa, Ellen 1882 Alva, Madge 1897 Edinburgh.
William (jnr) is last sighted in 1881 at Alva !!
Doubt that the census report with a stepmother is correct as that William was born in 1874 ??
in 1891 the family (barring William jnr are at Glendevon, Perthshire.  And in 1901 they are at Leith in Midlothian.
Hope this helps  :D like you am not having much luck with William Jnr.
Regards Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 October 13 07:07 BST (UK) »
Patvp,

Actually it's me who has made a mistake, & mixed up 2 William Sharps  born within 2 years of each other. The one born in 1871, son of William Sharp & Christina Wright dies in 1886 in Glendevon; I will send you a PM explaining the cause of his death which is still for me a mystery, but not suitable for public viewing. In 1886, the family were in Glendevon, as they are in the census of 1891.

The other William Sharp, born 1873, son of John Sharp & Elizabeth Hutton is born in Tillicoultry, and was there in 1891, but aged 15 at time of birth of child. He went on to marry and have a family, living in Partick in 1901 & 1911.

There was another William Sharp, born 1859, who in 1891 is living at the same address as the above William, he was married in 1891, to an Isabella, they had married in 1888, I now have the date, were childless in 1891 & 1901.

I have another thread awaiting moderator's approval below this one, which if allowed would explain the problem. The identity of this conundrum is all within the records of the sherriff's court of Clackmannan, which aren't available at National Archives of Scotland, it looks they have been weeded out, but they might be in a local newspaper for the area like Tillicoultry News, but this isn't online, but available on microfilm at Alloa library.

Tom