Author Topic: Sarah Hatch (born around 1776)  (Read 3469 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Hatch (born around 1776)
« on: Tuesday 24 September 13 19:59 BST (UK) »
Added a few days ago at the end of a related post... http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=605739.0 but added again as a new post with a more relevant subject heading. Hope that's ok?  ???

I'm trying to find Sarah Hatch, born around 1776.

What I have so far is:
William Lord (Stutton parish) married Sarah Hatch (Woolverstone parish), 2 Jan 1797
Children:
- Hannah Lord (baptised Aug 1797), married twice, Isaac Watts and James Rolfe, died in Stutton aged 76
- Samuel Lord (baptised Dec 1799), married, lived and died in Stutton (aged 75) 
- Sarah Lord (baptised 16 May 1802), married, lived in Suffolk and Essex and died in Essex aged 83
- William Lord (baptised Feb 1804), married, lived and died in Stutton aged 58
- John Lord (baptised 26 Mar 1810), married, lived and died in Great Baddow, Essex aged 67
- Maria Lockwood Lord (baptised Jun 1814, died Feb 1815 in Stutton)
- Fanny Hatch Lord (baptised in Stutton in Jun 1820, aged abt 3), living in Ipswich, St Clement in 1841 with grandmother Frances, married in 1850 and moved to Newport (Monmouthshire) where she died in 1899 [I'm wondering if this is a child of William and Sarah given her age at baptism]
- Maria Lockwood Lord (born 26 Apr 1820, baptised 1 May 1820, buried 17 Jul 1820 in Stutton)

- Sarah Lord (probably William’s wife given the date of the last baby), buried 1 May 1820 in Stutton. Age 44 (so born abt 1776)
- William Lord, buried 23 Nov 1840 in Stutton, age 72 (baptised on 11 Sep 1768 in Stutton).

The only Suffolk baptism I can find for a Sarah Hatch (on FamilySearch) though is in September 1772 at Groton, which appears quite a way from Woolverstone where William and Sarah married. Would anyone who knows the area be able to suggest if this distance was a possible move?

This would make Sarah a few years older than suggested in her burial record (age 44 in 1820), but closer in age to William (born around 1768). 

The last 3 children baptised with Lockwood / Hatch in their names is a bit confusing but William's aunt Hannah married a Francis Lockwood so presumably there's a connection there somewhere. And a James Lockwood (possibly a child of Francis and Hannah) was a witness at John Lord (b 1810)'s wedding and was living with John and his family in 1841  :-\

If the Groton baptism is right, William and Sarah didn't name any children after her possible parents Edward and Sarah, though they did name a son William carrying on the Lord family tradition (no Elizabeth after his mother), so maybe this isn't relevant.

I can't think of any way to prove or disprove this possible baptism so I guess it's another end, unless anyone can suggest anything, or find a more logical baptism?   

Thanks in advance, and for reading,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Hatch (born around 1776)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 16:53 BST (UK) »
Is this a possibility

Sarah HATCH bpt 14 Mar 1784 Brantham.  Parents John & Martha

Looks like the same couple also buried a daughter Elizabeth (age 13weeks) 2 Sep 1787 (John & Martha late Gentry) at Tattingstone.

Groton is not impossible but Brantham is on the doorstep.

A Hesiah HATCH (age 86) was buried 7 Sep 1831 at Woolverstone.  The only Hatch burial in that Parish recorded on the Suffolk Burial Index.

A couple Samuel HATCH & Hannah were baptising children in Woolverstone
Samuel 22 Nov 1784 & English 27 Jan 1781.

A Samuel Hatch (pauper) buried 18 Jul 1786 Chelmondiston.  prior to that an infant Hannah Hatch was buried in the same parish 14 Mar 1770.

All the villages mentioned are on the Shotley peninsula in fairly close proximity to each other.  Remember these folk moved around to find work on the farms.

K

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi K,

They look better to me distance-wise than Groton so have to be a possibility (not many Hatches around) but if she was baptised at a young age she'd have been only 12/13 when she married :(

The Samuel and Hannah in Woolverstone look good too as William and Sarah had children called Hannah and Samuel ...   :-\

Great to add in to the mix - thanks again.

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again K, thanks to your input, I've found a few more bits:

There's a marriage for a Sarah Hatch of Brantham in June 1804 which looks like the Sarah baptism in 1784.

There's a Chelmondiston marriage for a Samuel Hatch of Woolverstone to a Hannah Wright of Chelmondiston on 12 Oct 1768; this looks like the Samuel and Hannah you found in Woolverstone with maybe some missing baptisms to add to English (1781) and Samuel (1784), and maybe the Hannah buried in 1770 in Chelmondiston :-\  Perhaps Sarah belongs to this family and was born in Chelmondiston before they moved to Woolverstone....

Amazingly, I found a newspaper entry earlier for Fanny's marriage in 1851 which describes her as the youngest daughter of William Lord of Stutton, and niece of the late Capt Hatch of Ipswich. He'd be good to find.....

Deirdre

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 April 16 14:16 BST (UK) »
I've finally found Capt Hatch!

Death notice in the paper ... 29 March 1840, Ipswich... English Hatch, aged 59, many years Captain of the 'Fanny' of that port.

And English Hatch married Frances Lane on 1 April 1813 at St Nicholas, Ipswich.

This is all now beginning to tie in, as in 1841 Fanny Hatch Lord (youngest surviving daughter of William and Sarah in post 1) is with a Frances Hatch in Back Street, Ipswich. Not her grandmother as I've now realised! Frances died in Jan 1849. 

So the English baptism found by Keziah2 at Woolverstone now looks very promising, with parents Samuel and Hannah :)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 April 16 15:24 BST (UK) »
I now have a problem.....

Family Search has a baptism for James Hatch, born 22 Nov 1784, baptised 9 Jan 1785 at Woolverstone, parents Samuel Hatch and Hannah

Keziah2 (in reply 2) found a baptism of a Samuel Hatch on 22 Nov 1784 at Woolverstone, parents Samuel and Hannah. I'm fairly sure I too found it at the time of the post  ::) though I can't find it now on Family Search, FindMyPast or FreeREG.

Given the matching date, perhaps this is the same child and one record has been transcribed wrongly. If anyone can clarify, that would be great. Thanks

Offline jtpoutdoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 July 18 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I have English Hatch b 1808 to John and Ann in Ipswich. Non conformist family.
English was a lath maker so was John.
English married Harriett Cousins (also non con). They had a number of children in Manningtree and Ipswich.
I haven;t got very far with chasing this family but I believe John Hatch of Manningtree was the son of Samuel Hatch (of Lawford) who married Sarah English in the 1700's- there are several Johns bap 1740-65 and I haven;t narrowed it down yet.
There is no way on earth that your Captain English and my English Hatch are NOT related :-D.
Try Manningtree, Lawford and Mistley as well  as Woolverstone.
My branch moved to Ipswich by 1841 and either stayed there or moved to West Ham from what I can make out.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 July 18 07:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks jtpoutdoor, not looked at this branch for a while so will have another go now 😀

Certainly not come across many Englishes in my research.