Author Topic: Brick Wall -Minnie Prosser  (Read 4699 times)

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
Brick Wall -Minnie Prosser
« on: Wednesday 25 September 13 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, since 1911 census became available I have managed to find almost all my ancesters except 3 main ones! (G G Grandad but hes a Jones and it gives me a head ache so I gave up lol. My Grandads Mom but shes been searched 1000 times and I have concluded shes just not on the census and G G G Nan - Minnie!)

Right so Minnie Carter was born in Abergavenny in 1869/70. She married William Prosser and had 5 children. 1881, 1891 and 1901 shes is with her husband and kids but by 1911 shes disappeared. The kids have all disbanded to various places. Her husband is present with the youngest daughter and states he is married still.

My Nan's Nan told her that her Mom (Minnie) died when she was 10 (1902 ish) but no Minnie Prosser died then that fits the bill. I believe my Minnie died in Newport M in 1930, age listed as 58. (We think Minnie ran off).

Please help ??? I have searched Minnies relatives etc and Ive ran outta ideas x

Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall -Minnie Prosser
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi - have you searched under her initials M P in case she's in an institution of some sort?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 11:00 BST (UK) »
There's an M A P born in 1869, a patient in an institute in Talgarth but Ive never found any reference to the middle initial A before.

Nan's Nan told her that her Mom had died when she was about ten, but as I say there's no deaths for her then, only in 1930. Also the dad still says married in 1911 and not widowed so we think she had abandoned the family. (Also NONE of her kids named their children Minnie nor gave them Minnie as a middle name - which is quite unusual I think) x
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 11:00 BST (UK) »
Also - she doesn't seem to have been registered at birth as Minnie Carter.  I see that she's enumerated under that name in the pre-1911 censuses and is Minnie Carter at marriage in 1888, but if she had another formal name it's worth searching for her under that name.

NB she was 2 in the 1871 census so one would expect the birth to be 1868-1869.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 11:06 BST (UK) »
There's an M A P born in 1869, a patient in an institute in Talgarth but Ive never found any reference to the middle initial A before.

Cross-posted with you. This is interesting.  One of the few Carter births in Abergavenny at about the right time is that of Mary Ann Carter, Dec qtr 1868 Abergavenny 11a 64.

In the Carter family in 1871 there is an older Mary A (14) so it would seem more than a bit surprising for the 2 yr old to have been named Mary Ann - but it's not unheard of.  If the family had 2 girls with the same name for whatever reason, it wouldn't be surprising for the younger one to have a long-term nickname.  Minnie was often given as a nickname for Mary (or other names especially M names) and/or to denote the "little one" (= mini).

1871 ref is RG10/5309/89/19 (Wales).

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 11:10 BST (UK) »
avm228 thank you for that, d'ya know I had never realised there was no registration for Minnie. I'd assumed that because she married as Minnie that was her actual name!

I just saw that Mary Ann too in 1868...? She's certainly elusive x

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 13:03 BST (UK) »
Just found a Mary Carter in 1911 b.1865 in Abergavenny whose an inmate at Vaynor, Glamorgan, working as a laundress!!!

It says shes married and that the year she married was 1888 (like my Minnie!)

What do u think avm228? Do u think it sounds promising?

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 13:05 BST (UK) »
Its at Merthyr Tydfil Workhouse and Infirmary but its listed under Carter - I forgot I was searching in her maiden name this rime  :(

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 13:08 BST (UK) »
Maybe - but the age is a bit out and I wonder why she'd be enumerated in her maiden name of Carter?