Author Topic: Canadian Brunton researchers - James Brunton, Yarrowford. David William Brunton  (Read 6174 times)

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
Heres the story.

John Dickenson Brunton (1821 – 1908) with the help of his son Arthur D. Brunton compiled a family tree known as

"Chart of part of the Brunton family"

with the title of

"Chart of part of the Brunton family, ca.1650-1912 : [with] genealogy of Brunton family in America, beginning with James Brunton, who came from Yarrowford, Scotland to Doon, Onario, Canada early in 1842

compiled by John Dickenson Brunton ; with additions by Arthur D. Brunton

Robert Brunton (1676-1708), a son of Robert Brunton, married Dorothy Gray. Descendants and relatives listed lived chiefly in Scotland and England. James Brunton immigrated in early 1842 to Doon, Ontario. His descendants lived in Ontario and elsewhere."

That much is known. On that chart, until the seperate section for James Brunton, who went to Canada, appears a box called "Christian 1848" which leads to "John 1865".

We know that James Brunton had a sister called Christian, born in Yarrowford, Scotland in 1811. Christian goes missing after the 1841 UK census. No marriage, no death certificates. However digging in Canadian records you find

http://generations.regionofwaterloo.ca/familygroup.php?famil...

[S12] Vit - ON, Gore - Gore District Marriage Register - Waterloo Entries, (Darryl Bonk), Lindsay Presbyterian, Guelph Presbyterian (pg. 106) (Reliability: 3).

"Walter Greecerson, of Waterloo, married Christiann Brunton, of Dumfries. 5 May 1848, by licence, Witnesses: James Brunton and Walter Turnbull."

(Dumfries, in this instance, in the Dumfries in Ontario :)). Note the witness, James Brunton.

Can anyone find a John Greecerson, born in 1865, or Canadian census records for 1861 showing Christian Brunton.

Tying Christian up would finally complete ALL of David Brunton of Yarrowfords children.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Brunton researchers - James Brunton, Yarrowford. David William Brunton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 September 13 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hello there.

Christian and Walter have proven to be rather elusive but here are a few thoughts for you to mull over.

I was looking at the image of the marriage of Walter and Christian and wonder if Walter's last name might actually be Greerson?

That said, there is a family by the name of Grierson (note spelling) with Walter and Christania(?) and 2 children Elizabeth and John in the 1851/2 Canada census. You can access this for free at the link below. Click on 1852 census in the middle of the relevant paragraph. Once you get the transcription you can click on split view at the top to see the original image. The image generally provides more info than the transcription.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/

If this is the correct couple it looks  like Walter may have been previously married. Were you thinking that John b. 1865 might be their son? Given your Christian was b. 1811 I think she would have been too old to have a child b. that long after her marriage.

I can't find them in the 1861 census.

It looks like young Elizabeth died in 1871. Registered by a Walter Grierson.

A Walter Grierson can be found in Guelph in the 1871 census but I'm not sure he is the same Walter as he is a stone cutter (1852 Walter was a farmer) and of a younger age, apparently. The writing is very difficult to read so his age c/b older. I think it says he is widowed. There is no sign of Christian or young John.

Anyway, food for thought ....

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Brunton researchers - James Brunton, Yarrowford. David William Brunton
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 September 13 02:11 BST (UK) »
family search has the couple transcribed as
Walter Greerson
Christiann Bruaton
marriage 5 May 1848, Gore Distrist, Ontario

There is also a Jacob Greerson who married a Margaret Lange, 27 Oct 1855, Gore District, Ontario

When searching the census info, I would look for Jacob as well as Walter as the spelling seems to change on every site that I was able to find, Greerson, Grierson, Grearson. Finding Jacob onthe census may help find Walter.

The 1851 census has
Walter Grierson, b. 1809, age 42, Scotland
Canada West, Wellington County, Puslinch
Christiana Grierson, b. 1813, Scotland, age 38
Elezabeth, age 7, b. 1844, Scotland
John, age 4, b. Canada

I haven't found them on any other census.

Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid
has a
Walter Grierson
Woodlawn Guelph Block B, Wellington County, Guelph Township

Walter H. Grierson
Mt. Hope, Waterloo, Waterloo County, Waterloo Township

I couldn't find anything for Christiann

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 September 13 09:30 BST (UK) »
I thank you both for your help and will sit down and think for a while after this post.

Were you thinking that John b. 1865 might be their son? Given your Christian was b. 1811 I think she would have been too old to have a child b. that long after her marriage.

I know. What led me was the attached, a photo of the relevant part of "Chart of part of the Brunton family, ca.1650-1912 : [with] genealogy of Brunton family in America, beginning with James Brunton, who came from Yarrowford, Scotland to Doon, Onario, Canada early in 1842"

As you can see John Dickinson Brunton (he of the Dalkeith Bruntons) has penned in a Christian, married to someone in 1848, who had a son called John, born 1865. Note the lack of a down arrow above Christians name!

I would normally think that the 1848 was a birth year, but its connected by line to two of David Bruntons other children, Robert born 1822 and James born 1820, and as David died in 1824.... Also no Christian Bruntons were born in Scotland around 1848 that I am aware of.

However, if the wedding was in 1848 I would expect it to be above the T, NOT below the Christian name, as the rest of the document follows that order.

Christian is a really strange one, as she disappears in Scotland after 1841. Only thing I have connecting her to anywhere is "James Brunton" witnessed the marriage of a Christiann Brunton in 1848, and thats it.

Christian and Walter have proven to be rather elusive but here are a few thoughts for you to mull over.

I take it I am going over covered ground?

My direct line is David Brunton of Yarrowford who died 1824, married Elizabeth Leith(h)ead, and the purpose of my expedition was to trace his father, siblings and his children. The only sibling I have come across is a Joan Brunton, who married in 1811 and presumably died before 1841. I can find no parents who had a Joan (Jean/Jane etc) and a David as children.

David William Brunton 1849-1927 (James son) threw a spanner into my works as he claimed, in a 1922 book, to be a cousin of John Dickinson Brunton. Something I cannot fathom.

I have covered all the Dalkeith Bruntons coming from Robert Brunton (1676) who married Dorothy Gray, "Dorothea Gray" on everything but the gravestone! and cannot link the two families.

My great great grand-uncle claims we came from the Calders, West Lothian. However, a lot of his writings were inaccurate with regards to dates and places and can't be relied on - although Bruntons were in the Calders in the 1690s, and were tailors there.

Time to think for a while....

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 September 13 14:38 BST (UK) »
Assuming this is the same family as in the 1851/2 Canada Census, Walter (as Greirson), Christia, Elizabeth, and John are in Ada, Kent, Michigan (United States) in the 1860 US census. Walter is still a farmer.

Can't see them beyond that though yet.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 05:19 BST (UK) »
So Elizabeth died in 1871 Canada...sad, as...this site claims her, this Elizabeth's father also Walter "Grerson" http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/getperson.php?personID=I59889&tree=ClanMoffat#cite1
I guess the appearance of the family in 1860 U.S. led them to believe she was the correct one...  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0wg5/

Unless the U.S. one was a duplicate family, and the Grierson's missed getting enumerated in Canada 1861.... If we could find Christian's burial it might help clear up this mess...
 Walter and Elizabeth stone reference  B-20-5 /Wellington County /Woodlawn Memorial Park

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 October 13 18:36 BST (UK) »

Still confused by this, is this old familiar ground?

From what I can see Christian was married in Canada, and in the census for

"Grierson (note spelling) with Walter and Christania(?) and 2 children Elizabeth and John in the 1851/2 Canada census"

The child was born in Scotland so pre marriage. The birth dates would also be off for Christian.

On another note

"Walter Greecerson, of Waterloo, married Christiann Brunton, of Dumfries. 5 May 1848, by licence, Witnesses: James Brunton and Walter Turnbull"

there was a Walter Turnbull

Walter Turnbull was born on 16 April 1819 in Catslacknow, Yarrow Parish, Selkirkshire, Scotland.
    He married Susan Sinden, daughter of William Sinden and Anne Easton, on 30 March 1842.
    He died on 21 March 1905 in Norfolk Co., Ontario, Canada, at age 85.

Nice to think it could have been him as a witness.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 October 13 22:03 BST (UK) »
polarbear is not related she is researching on your behalf.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline lostintimeandpace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
As an update on this, I managed to find some relevant facts from Yarrow Free Church sessions.

On 11th July 1846 Christian confessed to a sin of fornication with one James Scott of Muirrig near Kelso. A child was born sometime in Nov/Dec 1845

On the 26th December 1847 the sessions noted that she was now in America. So sometime between July 1846 and December 1847 she had emigrated.

Looking at the 1852 census we have

Grierson, Walter     Farmer    Scotland    Presbyterian Free Church         42    M
Grierson, Christania     Wife     Scotland    Presbyterian Free Church         38    F
Grierson, Elizabeth                 Scotland    Presbyterian Free Church         7    F
Grierson, John             Son            Canada    Presbyterian Free Church         4    M

So the free church tie is there, the connection to James Brunton (as a wedding witness is there), the child is there (will check for the birth as its registered as elizabeth scott). Problem lies with the age (38 instead at 43), the name - Christania instead of Christian, and Grierson instead of Greecerson. How accurate was this particular census?
The two boxes on the oroginal family tree seem to be partially answered though  "Christian 1848" which leads to "John 1865".

Looking at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSsr=81&GSmid=46988331&GRid=62495949&

we have a claim of Elizabeth being born in Yarrow on Oct. 27, 1845 this date ties in with the christianing of an elizabeth scott at yarrow.

Evidence, if correct, is mounting that this is my Christian