Author Topic: Where did i go wrong  (Read 3942 times)

Offline lh38

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where did i go wrong
« on: Thursday 26 September 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
On a recent visit to Kendal Parkside Cemetery i went along with grave numbers etc and could'nt find any not even 1,  can anybody tell me where the actual grave number is located :(
Hayes Troughton Ward Grant Pennington Alderson Dirkin Hine Gould.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Where did i go wrong
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 September 13 18:04 BST (UK) »
If the grave has a headstone, the grave number can usually be found engraved on the back of it. 

If the grave has no headstone - you would need to follow the numbering of those graves with headstones to locate the one you are looking for.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 September 13 18:11 BST (UK) »
Often a cemetery will supply a map when they tell you the grave number.
So it might be worth asking.

But, as Carole said, a burial record and a grave number do not = a headstone. If you were looking for a headstone, and there isnt one, then  that couldexplain why you drew a blank.

You learn something new every day - I never knew that headstones have the grave number on them, Carole, that is really useful! Thanks.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 September 13 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz

I am assuming it's a general practice as my gravestone research is confined to Liverpool and Lytham St Annes.   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 September 13 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

I went the churchyard where my g grandparents were buried, I contacted the church before my visit, they sent me the grave number and a map, only to find that there some else buried in the plot, totally unrelated to me, apparently if the grave as no headstone, it can be reused after 70 years

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline smol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 September 13 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hello again
Parkside cemetery is quite large.
I have an overall plan and a more detailed list which I think the cemetery people sent to me (a long time ago). Try 01539 733333 ( check this number for the cemetery has not changed) and ask them about a plan. I found them very helpful indeed and in fact if you give them a name they may  well be able to tell you who is buried in each grave and when.
You have set me off looking at the Hayes family. I have a Jeannie(b.about 1886) in 1901 census as a stepdaughter with Henry & Jane Hillbeck and  in 1911 a Janie b.(about 1894) again a step daughter, but I cannot find this Janie in 1901 !
They are a very confusing lot.
 Have you looked to see if there are any workhouse records for Milnthorpe which may shed some light on the situation.
Smol

Offline lennie13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Agnes and John
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 October 13 18:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, that is the right phone number. If you go to South Lakeland House in Kendal and ask about Parkside Cemetery  at the reception desk they will also pass on your enquiry. Last time I went a lovely man showed me a plan of the cemetery. He found me a couple of graves by  names and dates of death, neither had headstones but he was able to show me on the plan where the plots are. Good luck :)
Dennison. Kendal,Whitwell and Selside.
Stobbart. Kendal. Elterwater. Northumberland.
McDowell. Cockermouth.

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 October 13 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I went the churchyard where my g grandparents were buried, I contacted the church before my visit, they sent me the grave number and a map, only to find that there some else buried in the plot, totally unrelated to me, apparently if the grave as no headstone, it can be reused after 70 years

Margp

Likewise, I contacted the local Council, who could not have been more helpful.  They sent a map, with the plots highlighted and even offered to place a marker on each plot.  I must admit it was very useful as none of the plots had headstones.  Sadly just a patch of grass.
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865