Author Topic: Edward Kidd Removal to Rye  (Read 2362 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Edward Kidd Removal to Rye
« on: Thursday 26 September 13 22:03 BST (UK) »
Evening all

Having recently discovered this excellent site for Hertfordshire resources - https://www.hertsdirect.org - I have found a removal order in the Poor law records which may relate to my ancestor Edward Kidd (c.1800). According to the index on the site:

Edward Kidd, May 16 1831, from St Albans Abbey to Rye, Sussex

If this is indeed my Edward, he would have only been in Rye till early 1833 at the latest as one of his children was baptised back in St Albans on 19 April 1833.

Does anyone have any transcripts of the Rye poor registers around this period or know if the records are available online so I can confirm if this is my Edward?

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Kidd Removal to Rye
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 September 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Jibba,

I have had a look at the removal orders from Rye to see if there is one sending him back but there is nothing recorded in the index I have.
With such a short time period between removal to Rye and back it makes me wonder whether the removal was actually carried out or was perhaps quashed as a number were.

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 September 13 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Sean

Thanks for looking. It would make sense that the removal was quashed given that the period between the two children being baptised at St Albans was so short.

As result of finding that removal, I believe I have solved Edward's parentage. Looking at the Rye registers on the SFHG, I found a number of Kidd's baptised and buried there including an Edward Kidd, son of John and Elizabeth baptised in 1798.

Looking at the marriage record for John and Elizabeth revealed her maiden name to be Edwards. This ties in with the name of Edward's eldest child, Edward Edwards Kidd (b&d 1823).

With the above information, it would make sense then that St Albans were trying to send Edward back to his birth parish.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find Edward in the 1851 census which would have confirmed the above. I know that he was alive up until 1846 (as he was paying his son's apprenticeship) and that his wife lists herself as married in the 1851 census.

If possible, can you please see if there was a removal for Edward from Rye to St Albans? I appreciate that it is a long period to cover, as he did not get married until 1822, but it would confirm that we have the right man

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 September 13 11:52 BST (UK) »
I can find nothing I am afraid.
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 September 13 19:00 BST (UK) »
Evening

Thanks for looking again. Would have been nice to have found an entry to confirm his move to St Albans, but the rest of the data found more or less proves the Edward baptised in Rye is the same man who raised a family in St Albans

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 20:51 GMT (UK) »
 You are on the same tree as my family Heritage..any information would be appreciated.

John Edward Kidd..born Rye Sussex England 3/1835 Died 4/9/1920 Cundal NSW..A Blacksmith in Windsor & Richmond.
See Link.- http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/85876483?searchTerm=%22John %20Kidd%22&searchLimits=exactPhrase=John+Kidd|||anyWords|||notWords||| requestHandler|||dateFrom=1919-01-01|||dateTo=1923-12-31|||l-advstate=New+South +Wales|||l-advcategory=Article|||l-advcategory=Family+Notices|||sortby=dateAsc .

(His parents were William Kidd b.1807 (c.14 Jan St Maryʼs the Virgin Rye Sussex. England) a Butcher died 15/8/1892 & Naomi Carman died 3/12/1869 married in Rye Sussex England)

William Kidd set up a Butcher Shop in Windsor & Richmond, taking advantage of the stock crossing the mountains to Sydney. (Williamʼs Father was John Kidd & Elizabeth Edwards married in Rye Sussex 1793 both remained in England.) see St Marys the Virgin, Rye, Sussex...family records.

William & Naomi arrived Sydney 15th September 1838 Vessel “Woodbridge” from the Isle of Wight..Free Passage.
(Naomi father was John Carman & Mary Rouche a widow in 1838 joined Naomi & William on the “Woodbridge” immigrating to the colony. .......................................
see link.--http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=2709&id=I2153

Regards
John-- Australia