Author Topic: Williams, Thomas; Llanvillo 1770  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
Williams, Thomas; Llanvillo 1770
« on: Sunday 29 September 13 07:50 BST (UK) »
My friend Jim is asking if we have heard of Thomas Williams, born about 1770-1776 at Llanvillo. He was tried at Brecon Court of Great Sessions 1801, transported to Port Phillip Australia in 1803 on 'Calcutta', ended up in Tasmania from 1804 with Governor Collins, married 1808-09 to Frances Reardon. Many open source trees in the internet give him a middle name - Wheller. Cannot find any official source for this second name. Any ideas re "Wheller" would be appreciated. Any evidence of his birth would be fantastic - O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay.
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williams, Thomas; Llanvillo 1770
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 September 13 16:44 BST (UK) »
The earliest records I can find at Llanfilo (couldn't find Llanvillo, assume it's the same place?) are from 1786 sorry...
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 September 13 00:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking; I did check the Powys church registers on line, where there are two possible candidates, except that the Parish names given are wildly different from the one given - Llanfilo seems to be the accepted version. I've also re checked his possible birth date to 1773 - but that is only based on an assumed age at his death. Cheers.
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 October 13 07:10 BST (UK) »
Found Thomas in "Convicts Unbound, the story of the 'Calcutta' convicts and their settlement in Australia" by Marjorie Tipping (Viking O'Neil and imprint of Penguin, Melbourne, Australia) 1988.
Tipping notes him as "Williams, Thomas (c1769-1854?) (Wheeler) She spells the place as Llanvillo but I think modern maps refer to it as Llanfilo. He was tried at Brecon Grand Session 28 March 1801, transported for 14 years, married Frances Reardon; and died either in 1851 (in the church register) but 1854 (on the tombstone). Looks like Tipping had heard of the middle name 'Wheeler' but wasn't sure of the source. Tippng book gives short biographies of all the convicts on this ship.

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 March 20 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ratty,

Is your friend in some way related to Thomas Williams?, he is my 4th great grandfather, and his middle name wasn't Wheller it was Wheeler, his mother's maiden name was Wheeler, I have yet to find a christian name for her.

If your friend Jim needs any info I will gladly help where I am able.

Regards

Cienna

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 March 20 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Wow! I'll have to check. Sounds likely. That research was a while ago, but will look it up.
Cherrs

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 March 20 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I know it goes back a long way but if I am able to help I will, I only came across your post after doing a search......

Cheers

Cienna.

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 March 20 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Having just checked my final written report of Thomas Williams (1769-1854) I would say that yes, Jim is most probably related to your 4xgreat grandfather.
Might be kind to use 'My Messages' here to correspond.
Let me speak to Jim first.
Cheers