Author Topic: marriage help needed holywell  (Read 5685 times)

Offline jere

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
marriage help needed holywell
« on: Monday 30 September 13 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, Please could some one help me trace a marriage i am assuming it was in holywell as they lived in greenfield.
the 1851 census RG number HO107. piece 2500. folio 428 .page 20address greenfield street holywell.
Thomas williamsb. 1813 shoemaker amlych
Elizabeth  wife 1824 holywell
william son aged 4 b. 1847
joseph son 1850
henry owens  brother-in-law
as the first son was born in 1847 holywell i am hoping that they got married just before this date the only marriage comes up is in 1843 but thats the wrong husband to elizabeth.
looking for  thomas williams and elizabeth owens marriage.
elizabeth owens born 1823 holywell her parents were william and mary owens , i have no idea of thomas williams backround hence the marriage  as his age varies from census to census.
  any help much appreciated jer. :)
jeremiah monmouth,jones,roberts  llanddwywe-is-y-graig,jones llanaber,williams llanidloes,tucker wiltshire,jones merioneth, jones machen, hughes tredegar, herbert montana u.s.a.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marriage help needed holywell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 September 13 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi jere

It's often difficult finding marriages in the GRO index before 1911 as that's when the spouse surname was included.

What you could do is apply to the general register office for a copy of the marriage cert with both parties names, state the place as Holywell but not the reference numbers, with the year of marriage 1846 +/- 1 year and include Elizabeth's father's name occupation &  and if an entry cant be found, you'll get a refund.

You could apply to the local reg office but they will need to know where to search and you may not get a refund.

Then it may be safe to assume they married elsewhere or Elizabeth was a young widow and her surname at marriage to Thomas wasn't Owens .

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 September 13 20:58 BST (UK) »
there is this marriage reg FreeBMD
Dec qtr 1843
Holywell
on same page
Thomas Williams
Elizabeth Owens
27 362

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 September 13 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, Suz.
Yes i know i emailed flintshire registrars with dec quarter 1843 they said there was no marriage there only marriage was joseph parry and elizabeth owens in holywell. but thomas williams comes up with elizabeth owens dont know really what to do now.
but thank you anyway for taking the time. regards jere.
jeremiah monmouth,jones,roberts  llanddwywe-is-y-graig,jones llanaber,williams llanidloes,tucker wiltshire,jones merioneth, jones machen, hughes tredegar, herbert montana u.s.a.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 September 13 21:16 BST (UK) »
It may sound of course miles away but there is a possible marriage showing on UKBMD at Betws-y-Coed St Michael in 1843.The GRO reference for this marriage is in the Llanrwst District of Denbighshire,Apr/May/Jun quarter of 1843.Volume 27,Page 313.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 September 13 21:24 BST (UK) »
The Joseph Parry - Elizabeth Owens marriage (at least the banns with confirmation of the marriage on 16 Dec 1843) is online. Both of the parish, married at Holywell.

CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 September 13 22:08 BST (UK) »
I've just had a look at freereg, and another Elizabeth Owens daughter of John & Sarah was baptised 25 May 1823 at Holywell. Your Elizabeth was baptised 22 June 1823.

I don't think you are going to solve this one just by looking at indexes.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 September 13 22:38 BST (UK) »
It may sound of course miles away but there is a possible marriage showing on UKBMD at Betws-y-Coed St Michael in 1843.The GRO reference for this marriage is in the Llanrwst District of Denbighshire,Apr/May/Jun quarter of 1843.Volume 27,Page 313.

Regards
William Russell Jones.

Family Search confirms the right partners for this marriage.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Russell.
Thank you also for looking but i did look at that marriage as i am on findmypast but although it states thomas williams   , elizabeth owens married elizabeths fathers name was gien as john owens and my elizabeth owens dad was william . and thomas williams occ. was given as labourer and he was a shoemaker.
 but thank you for trying to help me. The problem i have is i dont have thomas in the 1841 census only in 1851 census  there was no 1861 census for them and then i have them 1871 onwards. his age differs in the census i have so dont really know his right age (a bit like him )
 regards jere.