Author Topic: why would you want a black sheep?  (Read 13393 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: why would you want a black sheep?
« Reply #108 on: Sunday 06 October 13 14:58 BST (UK) »
For the most part, we don't know much about our ancestors.  They were generally gray - from dove gray to charcoal - not black or white.  Nobody's life is summed up in a few certificates and census returns.  If we're lucky, we might get some newspaper articles, personal letters or the like, but even these don't necessarily paint a full and accurate picture. 

Here's gg uncle William in one account:  "By strenuous efforts, he succeeded in obtaining an education which fitted him for teaching, which occupation he has followed for several years, in connection with his farm labors.  He has been Chairman of his town, and held various local offices."  And here he is in another:  "Wm. H. Ennis, who was township clerk, township assessor, justice of the peace and clerk of the school district of the township of Viding, Clay county, has probably joined the American colony in Canada.  He carried away only a small amount of money, but many evidences of crooked work are coming to light."
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Sunday 06 October 13 15:07 BST (UK) »
I'm a Scot with an English great grandfather. I must have a flock of black ones in my tree.  ;D ;D

Regards

Malky

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Sunday 06 October 13 15:20 BST (UK) »
So, summing up, we all have sheep of all colours in our families, ranging from pristine white to totally black.

None of can or should be judgmental here, as many actions may have arisen due to the prevailing circumstances of the times, but I agree with others who remarked that Stormtroop should have presented us with the facts right from the beginning.

As this discussion has been started from false premises, I'm closing it for now.  It will probably be taken up again later, in a year or so ...

Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)