Author Topic: Colonal Charles GOLD  (Read 8435 times)

Offline red3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Colonal Charles GOLD
« on: Tuesday 01 October 13 02:25 BST (UK) »
On 1841 UK census has his birth as Ireland 1771.
Wife was Ann ?? can not find the marriage.  she died 1840 Warwick England.

Looking for his marriage and birth if possible. ???

Children are:(have there details)
Henry Yarbough Gold B 1806 Woolwich Kent
Charles Emilius Gold b 1809
Mary Ann Gold b 1811

Thank you
Ghent/Gent- Nottinghamshire, Canada to NZ
Brown- Ireland to NZ
Just- Durham to NZ
Battensby-Durham to NZ
Protheroe- Pembrokeshire /London to NZ
Capstick-Lancashire /York to NZ

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Colonal Charles GOLD
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 11:07 BST (UK) »
http://shrinkalink.com/67149
Page 209
Colonel Charles GOLD, CB - his  Obituary 1842, says he had 3 sons - all serving officers in the Army. He died in Leamington, also.

You can track his progress thru the Ranks (purchasing of commissions etc) here:
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/
Incl that in 1790 he went from:  Gentleman Cadet to 2nd Lt.  He sold his Commission in 1827.

I think he had  5 children (at least) -  the 3 sons mentioned in his Obit, plus 2 daughters:
The following children were all baptised in the same church - St Mary Magdalen, Woolwich Kent, to parents: Charles GOLD and Ann
William George GOLD 1801, 7th March
Mary Ann GOLD 1803, 4 May
Charlotte GOLD 1805, 3 Jun
Henry Yarburgh GOLD 1806, 2 Sep
(Nothing for Charles Emelius GOLD, but his birth is given as 6 Jan 1809 on various sites).

Charlotte GOLD died 1841, age 35, buried March 6th, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire.
Leamington is where Charles GOLD, Colonel in the Army, age 70,  is  in 1841, with Mary Ann GOLD age 30 (b 1811), Independent, and both appear to be in the household of Lodging House Keeper Elizabeth BATE age 53.  Note the 1841 ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 years (or meant to be)  therefore Charles could be closer to 75 and Mary Ann 35 (or 38! ) - this is born out by the burials of Charles & Mary Ann:

Charles GOLD age 73, (b abt 1769)
buried in Leamington Priors 25th April 1842

Mary Ann GOLD age 40 (b abt 1803)
buried in Leamington Priors 23 March 1843

The 3rd son (actually the eldest) William George GOLD died 1868 in Wales. His wife was Elizabeth Mary NAYLOR, b abt 1811 Harford, Cheshire, she died 27 March 1872, also at their home, Garthmyl Hall, Montgomery. Her brother John NAYLOR Esq,  of Montgomery proved her Will.  Various sources say they marred 1832.

http://www.leightonnews.com/2013/the-history-of-the-naylor-family-of-leighton-hall/
John Naylor also looked after his sister Elisabeth Mary, building Garthmyl Hall (or rebuilding or adding onto?) for her and her husband, William George Gold, who became a Lieutenant General and Colonel of the 53rd Foot.
http://www.coflein.gov.uk/pdf/CPG366/

1841: Hartford Hall, Hartford, Gt Budworth, Cheshire
HO107/Piece 97/ Book 4/ Folio 12/ Pg19
Dorothy NAYLOR 58, Ind - No
Elizabeth GOULD 28, Ind - Yes
Plus 5 Female Servants and 1 Male Servant - Elizabeth with her mother?, & William is possibly away with his Regiment.

1851: 6 Penlee Cres. Devonport, Stoke Demeral, Devon
HO107/ Piece 1882/Folio 358/ Pg13
Head: William G GOLD 50, Lt Colonel in the Army, b Woolwich Kent
Wife: Elizabeth M GOLD 40, b Gt Budworth, Cheshire
Plus 3 Servants (Lady's Maid, Cook & Groom)

1861: Garthmyl Hall, Montgomery
RG9/Piece 4254/ Folio 101/ Pg8
Head: William George GOLD, 60, Army Major General, b Woolwich Kent
Wife Elizabeth Mary GOLD, b Hartford, Cheshire
Plus 7 Servants In-House and probably 2 more in the Gardeners Cottage and another dwelling housing a  Coachman and his wife.

Medals etc belonging to both Charles and his son William George were sold in a 2002 Auction:
http://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/catalogue-archive/lot.php?auction_id=42&lot_id=30980
http://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/catalogue-archive/lot.php?auction_id=42&lot_id=30979

The first Lot, says Charles was:
Born on 1 November 1768
Father: Captain Richard Gold, an officer in the 47th Foot, who served at Quebec in 1759 under Major-General James Wolfe &  was killed at the battle of Bunker’s Hill on 17 June 1775. Apparently the lot included a fair amt of family research material including a drawing & a photo of a painting of him.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline red3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly
Thank you for all this!!

Any clues on Charles Gold wife?  I have seen Ann Tutton linked to him but can not find marriage.

Thanks again Red3
Brown- Ireland to NZ
Just- Durham to NZ
Battensby-Durham to NZ

Offline Goldie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 August 15 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hello to Ambly and red3
I am an 83 year old beginner in this internet genealogy search business and I am not sure how to proceed with information that you might be looking for.  I am a fourth generation descendent of Colonel Charles Gold. My grandfather Henry Gold (son of Colonel Henry Yarborough Gold) migrated to Australia in 1864 where he became a farmer.  Fortunately I have several snippets of information concerning the Gold clan that you appear to lack.  I would be pleased to pass this information on to you if only I knew how.  It ( photos, copies of letters and press clippings) would be most easily transferred if we could swap email addresses or even talk on 'Skype'.
To begin the exchange I can advise that  Colonel Charles Gold CB was the son of Captain Richard Gold who married Joyce Clark. I do not know where. As well as their son Charles Gold There appears to have been a child named Joyce Gold. Charles married Anne Kilvington. That's a start.
 I have much more if you chance to read this and make contact.  Goldie

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 August 15 07:47 BST (UK) »
Goldie,
          Welcome to Rootschat. If you make another two postings you can then contact Red3 using the Personal Message (PM) system. Just click on the "page" diagram under Red3's name.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline red3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 August 15 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Goldie
Would love to swap information with you.  Follow Kingskerwell instructions, then we can exchange information via personal message.

Regards Red3
Brown- Ireland to NZ
Just- Durham to NZ
Battensby-Durham to NZ

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 August 15 09:38 BST (UK) »
New members now just need 2 posts to use PM system so if Goldie replies once more you should both be able to communicate that way  ;)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Goldie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 August 15 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi red3,
Gee! that was quick!  Well to proceed. You asked Ambey if he had info on Charles Emeilius Gold. I have some info and press clippings that say he had 16 children. For a start you could Google
www.teara.gov.NZ/en/biographies/1g13/gold-charlesemilius or just Google' Colonel Gold' and find him among the several listings.  I know of two of his descendants who will have additional information.  Apparently he was an artist of some note. One son became the shire council secretary for the Australian gold mining town of Coolgardie in West Australiain in the late 1890's.
I look forward to further contact.
Regards
Goldie

Offline Ellsgold

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 August 15 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi goldie I'm 16 years old and investigating my family tree I was just wondering what info you had to see if these are relatives of mine ☺️