Author Topic: Whittaker - Fingringhoe & Layer-de-la-Haye, Wade, Cooper & other families  (Read 37629 times)

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Whittaker - Fingringhoe & Layer-de-la-Haye, Wade, Cooper & other families
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 November 13 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Oooh look:

24.6.1717 Thos Tiffin of Earls Colne aged 25yr single and Hannah Patten of Wakes Colne 22yr single bond Thos Tiffin farmer and Jn Patten of Great Tey yeoman to marry at Abberton

Abberton being next door to LDLH and Fingringhoe.

And then poor Thomas jnr died a few months later: Thos Tiffin junior buried in wool 5.10.1717

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 November 13 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I give you... Roger Nunn, MD, mayor of Colchester 1834 and 1842!

From BBC Your Paintings. Held by the Colchester & Ipswich Museum Service.

Roger died in 1844. He and Harriet had a vast number of children - 9 girls and a boy. Girl #8 was called, of course, Octavia.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 11 November 13 11:39 GMT (UK) »
From "The Autobiography and Other Memorials of Mrs Gilbert":

"On arriving at Colchester we were located for a few days under the hospitable roof of a Mr Mansfield, one of [Page 95]  the deacons, a worthy man of some property, a manufacturer of "says" and baize, the former a sort of poor flannel, then the lingering staple of the town.* Here we were struck with the singular concatenation of relationship among those who assembled to greet the new minister's family–it was my "Cousin Dolly" and my: "Cousin Jerry," &c., without end.† Mr and Mrs Mansfield completed their wedding jubilee soon afterwards, when house and garden were thrown open to all comers, and they were filled with children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and relations in every degree."

The reference to "cousin" this and "cousin" that.... " "† The remarkable consanguinity mentioned was, no doubt, due to the Huguenot immigration, as also to some extent were the Nonconformist communities.–[ED.]"

I've borrowed "A Pleasing Prospect", which should be quite interesting as a history of 18th C Colchester. Puts all this into context, I would hope.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Interesting, amazing what you can find with a bit of digging about. ;D

Going back to your Wades, do you think your Elizabeth Cardinal is the one baptised in Alresford whose father died in 1749 (if memory serves me right)?  Doesn't help with that parish having missing records like LDLH. ::)  Is a bit of an issue in Essex in places, I've a similar problem up on the Suffolk border.

What's the Colchester book like?  Just wondering if it may be any use to my Aunt and her somewhat infamous Lester ancestors from the town.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 09:35 GMT (UK) »
It could be her - when she died in 1803, her age was given as 62, so she was born about 1741. The baptism of Elizabeth Cardinal, daughter of Wm & Elizth in 1743 might be about right. But like you say, it's impossible to know for sure because if we had the earlier baptisms for LDLH, we could rule out whether she was born there or not. In August, ERO announced that they'd just added the Tolleshunt D'Arcy 1560-1770 register, so I live in hope that maybe one day LDLH's will miraculously reappear too!

The Alresford baptism might tie in with her son Thomas moving to Alresford. He married a women from Walton-le-Soken in 1798, where his abode is given as Fingringhoe. They had two children baptised in Fingringhoe (1799 and 1801), then had moved to Alresford by the time of the baptism of a daughter in 1806.

Just had a look at the index of the Colchester book and can't see the Lester family in there, I'm afraid. But it probably makes good background reading for anyone who has relatives living there at the time, I would think.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Another possible connection with the Alresford family would be the fact you say Edward and Elizabeth's son William adopted Cardinal as a middle name, although he wasn't baptised as that.  May indicate perhaps he thought he was named after his maternal grandfather. ;)  All supposition but does make you wonder.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 10:43 GMT (UK) »
That's true - he's the first child and he's called William rather than Edward, so he clearly wasn't named after his father. Hmmm..... I might have a rummage about and see if there's any connections with other Cardinals from Alresford.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 November 13 10:36 GMT (UK) »
I've just found something that links Waynmans, Marsdens and Yells.... (and if we assume that Sarah Wade, widow, who married Joseph Yell, is Edward Wade's mum, then this is quite interesting because it suggests a link that goes beyond witnessing each other's marriages!).

1816 sessions bundle at ERO:
recognizances of William Finch of Colchester, milkman, Joseph Hammond of Finginghoe, sailor, John Strutt of Colchester, labourer, Richard Broom, Robert Moore of Colchester, coachmaker, John Marsden and William Waynman, James YELL the younger of East Donyland, farmer and Thomas Talbott of Colchester, carter;

In transcribing East Donyland, I found an 1811 marriage where Henry Norman Game of Colchester marries Mary Ann Yell, and one of the witnesses is Ann Wade.

Also, that could presumably be the William Waynman who moved to Nottingham.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 November 13 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hhm, interesting. ;D ;D  Does now make you think that perhaps if Sarah Yell formerly Wade was Edward's mother, then her maiden name is most likely to be Whitaker as Edward's daughter was Sarah Whitaker Wade.  Or there is a good chance of that since I've seen quite a few occasions when children have been given a surname for a middle name, it's usually 'cos of someone of a prior generation with both names.