Author Topic: Thomas Pugh circa 1650 of Llwygwy, Pennal. Anwyl of Llugwy, Pennal, Hugh Pryse  (Read 11583 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Hi,
I have a record from the Lay Subsidy Rolls circa 1636 of a Thomas Pugh, Llygwy, Pennal. I checked Llygwy on the Internet and found a Llugwy Hall and Llugwy Estate. It was the property of the Anwyl family after about 1670.

Here is a pedigree of the Anwyl family I have patched up from the Internet, the last line shows where Llugwy became the property of the Anwyl family:

•   Jeuan ap Maredudd (died c.1402) = Lucy verch Hywel Sele, Lord of Nannau
•   Maredudd ab Jeuan (f.1420) = Angharad verch Einion ab Ithel sef aeres Rhiwaedog
•   Sion (John) ap Maredudd (f.1485) = Gwenhwyvir ferch Goronwy ab Ieuan o Gollwyn
According to Philip Yorke;
"To John ab Maredudd his kindred and friends cleaved steadfastly, like courageous men: so then it began to be a proverb or phrase, to call the family of Owain Gwynedd Tylwyth John ab Maredudd, the race of John ab Maredudd."
•   Morys ap Sion ap Maredudd (died c.1511) = Angharad verch Elisau ap Gruffydd ab Einion
•   Robert ap Morys o'r Parc (d.1576) = Lowry verch Lewis ab Ieuan ap Dafydd[5]
From Robert ap Morys the family were known as the Anwyl of Parc Family, after their abode near Penrhyndeudraeth at this time.
•   Lewis Anwyl (ap Robert) (1535–1605) = Elizabeth verch Morys ab Ieuan ap Sion ap Maredudd o Frynkyr
•   William Lewis Anwyl of Park (c.1565 – 1642), magistrate, High Sheriff of Merionethshire 1611 and 1624 and High Sheriff of Caernarvonshire 1637 = Elizabeth, eldest daughter and coheiress of Edward Herbert, of Maes Machre, Cemmaes, Anglesey.

Evan (Ieuan) Anwyl of Brynkir, Caernarfonshire later Llugwy, Merionethshire (1610–1666) and = Catherine daughter of Maurice Williams. He was High Sheriff of Merionethshire in 1649 and again in 1664. He had issue;

Maurice Anwyl of Llugwy (c.1645-c.1695) = Joane daughter of Hugh Pryce, of Penmaendyfi, Caernarfonshire.

Does anyone have further information about the Pugh family of Pennal at that time (1600 to 1700) and is there any further information on Hugh Pryse who might have been related to Thomas Pugh?

My main research is on the Pughs of Brecknockshire, but I have reason to believe they were in North Wales before about 1700.

Thanks

Llanfi
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Pugh circa 1650 of Llwygwy, Pennal. Anwyl of Llugwy, Pennal, Hugh Pryse
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 22:06 BST (UK) »
I have a history of the Anwyl family which mentions the marriage of Maurice Anwyl to Joane Pryce.
Her father, Hugh, was the younger brother of Humphrey Pryce of Cefn Caer.

It states that "The Pryces of Cefn Caer were "collaterals of the Pryces of Esgaerweddan who became extinct in the direct line with the death in 1718 of Thomas Pryce..."

There is no mention of the Pugh family, although it mentions Llygwy Issa and Llygwy Ucha in the post-nuptial settlement of Maurice Anwyl.

David

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Pugh circa 1650 of Llwygwy, Pennal. Anwyl of Llugwy, Pennal, Hugh Pryse
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hello David,

The record for David Pugh comes from the same two sources. Both of them are transcription from the Lloyd manuscripts:

http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924029842618/cu31924029842618_djvu.txt

http://books.google.ca/books?id=W6M2AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA452&lpg=PA452&dq=ellis+ap+william+ap+hugh&source=bl&ots=YHIKELdM6u&sig=YgTV6V6VwB6EOtd5NDlE6t64zQw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4QVUUaymPOTrigKE8IHAAw&ved=0CFAQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=ellis%20ap%20william%20ap%20hugh&f=false

The Lloyd manuscripts Lay Subsidy Roll for 1636 has only six entries for  PENNAL

Rees Lloyd  Gent
Rowland Morgan Gent
Thomas Pugh of Llygwy
John Roberts of Cefn Caer
John Roberts ap Rs
Evan Meredith

All of these people were landowners.

Could it be that David Pugh was owner of Llygwy and John Roberts owned Cefn Caer before the Anwyl family possessed it?

Cheers,

Llanfi

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hello David,

The references to David Pugh in my previous post should have been Thomas Pugh.....

Cheers,

Llanfi

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 October 13 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hello David,

Thanks for your help!

I researched the Cambrian Journal a bit more, and came upon a reference to the huge Nannau Estate possessed by Sir Robert Vaughan. There is a reference to the "demesn of Nannau, Dolseran Ucha (in the tenancy of Mr William Anwyl), Doluwcheoghyrd (in the tenancy of Mr Howell Pugh), Plas yn Brithdir (in the tenancy of Mr Lewis Thomas),and the Blue Lion, Dinas Mawddwy.

This was about 1794

I think the Lay Subsidy Roll of 1636 referred to ordinary landowners, who were levied for taxes.

The commissioners of the Rolls were Jo. Davies, JA. Pryse, Hugh Nanney, and HE Pryse

So the Pughs, and Anwyls seem to have been on different terms regarding the tax revenues from the Pryses and Nannaus!!

Cheers,

Llanfi

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 October 13 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Llanfi,

Looking through the rolls, most of the major landowners seem to be listed. For example, Hugh Nanney of Llanfachreth is listed and he was the owner of the Nannau estate at that time.

I think the dates are significant because Maurice Anwill/Anwyl was born in 1646 and settled at Llugwy c1675.

One note that I missed is that his father purchased Llugwy in 1637 from Thomas Williams, although that name doesn't appear in the rolls of 1636. It comprised 2 messuages, 3 cottages, 3 tofts, 2 gardens etc. The two messuages may have been Llygwy Uchaf and Llygwy Isaf.

It could be that the list includes owners and/or tenants, so perhaps Thomas Pugh was a tenant of Thomas Williams and subsequently of Evan Anwill.

I have a scanned copy of the Anwyl History and can send the two relevant pages. If you would like them, please send me a personal message with your email address.

Regards,

David

Offline elinor p

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dear David

I have just come across your post going back to 2013 I believe, mentioning Hugh Pryse who was a younger brother of Humphrey Pryse Cefn Caer, Pennal, in relation to your discussion about Thomas Pugh c.1650 of Llugwy, Pennal. You also mention that you have some relevant pages of the Anwyl family tree with some details of Maurice Anwyl and Joane Pryse's post-nuptial agreement. I believe that I am related to these Pryses and would be eternally grateful if you could provide me with any more information.

Thank you, Elinor

Elinor

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hello Elinor,

The Anwyl book is 224 pages long, including the index. I have attached p220 which shows the relevant names - Price and Pryse. P65-66 seem to be the most likely of interest but there may be others.

It would be best to deal with the pages by email, but the address should be sent by personal message, but you need three postings before this can be done - http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

If you can reply twice to this message, it should then be possible.

Regards, David

Offline elinor p

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dear David, thank you so much for responding so promptly. From a cursory glance at the pages, yes I would agree that pages 65-66 are certainly relevant but also others e.e. Richard Prees, and possible Edmund Prys the Archdeacon (which my father previously thought he was related to and still might be in the running if we find a connection!). I will as you suggest send a third post to enable you to send my the relevant link. Thank you. E