Author Topic: Can Anyone date this building in Northbrook Street, Newbury?  (Read 5075 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Can Anyone date this building in Northbrook Street, Newbury?
« on: Thursday 03 October 13 01:00 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone can date this building located at 91 &92 Northbrook Street, Newbury from the top part of the buildings (windows, brickwork etc). The building was the home of the Head family and features in Walter Money's "History of Newbury" which shows an earlier picture. I am descended from both the Head family and the Money family.

Many Thanks

Matthew

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can Anyone date this building in Northbrook Street, Newbury?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 October 13 23:43 BST (UK) »
Listed building description (better than most):
1. NORTHBROOK STREET 5127 Nos 91 and 92 SU 4767 SW 6/170

II* GV

2. Circa 1740 house, style of James Clarke of Newbury (Master Builder), probably for a member of the Head family. Three storeys. Seven bays. Hipped tiled roof. Red brick with rubbed dressings. Tuscan pilasters rise through 1st and 2nd floors carrying entablature. Parapet with pilaster strips and ramped-up at ends. Gauged segmental arched sash windows with exposed boxing, flush frames and glazing bars; blind alternate 2nd floor windows. Modern shop fronts. Lead rainwater head on north return is dated 1774. Two storey wing at rear with brick cornice and tile-hung gable. (Trans. Newburyfield Club V, 228; Berks. Arch. Town 47 (1943) 53-4).

Listing NGR: SU4707867262
Selected Sources
Article  Reference - Journal Title: Transactions of the Newbury and District Field Club - Volume: 5 - Page References: 228
Article  Reference - Date: 1943 - Journal Title: Berkshire Archaeological Journal - Volume: 47 - Page References: 53-54
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 October 13 01:28 BST (UK) »
Listed building description (better than most):
1. NORTHBROOK STREET 5127 Nos 91 and 92 SU 4767 SW 6/170

II* GV

2. Circa 1740 house, style of James Clarke of Newbury (Master Builder), probably for a member of the Head family. Three storeys. Seven bays. Hipped tiled roof. Red brick with rubbed dressings. Tuscan pilasters rise through 1st and 2nd floors carrying entablature. Parapet with pilaster strips and ramped-up at ends. Gauged segmental arched sash windows with exposed boxing, flush frames and glazing bars; blind alternate 2nd floor windows. Modern shop fronts. Lead rainwater head on north return is dated 1774. Two storey wing at rear with brick cornice and tile-hung gable. (Trans. Newburyfield Club V, 228; Berks. Arch. Town 47 (1943) 53-4).

Listing NGR: SU4707867262
Selected Sources
Article  Reference - Journal Title: Transactions of the Newbury and District Field Club - Volume: 5 - Page References: 228
Article  Reference - Date: 1943 - Journal Title: Berkshire Archaeological Journal - Volume: 47 - Page References: 53-54

Hi

Thanks for that useful information. Does this mean the house was built in 1740 and that the lead rainwater head was added c1774? The house looks quite grand and I am assuming that it would have been fairly expensive to have built.

Thanks again for the date (I can now work out which of the Head family lived there, although I think I already know). i will be posting another photo on here so I hope you will be able to help with that as well.

Thanks again

Matthew

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 October 13 13:14 BST (UK) »
1740 is a guess - based on the style of the building.  If the date is right then James Clarke is a fair guess as the architect/builder.  Of course someone with old-fashioned taste might have built it in 1774.

The association with the Head family is largely apochryphal, I don't think there is any evidence to support the theory.  Nor has anyone been able to decide which of the several Heads in Newbury at that date might have had it built. 

However, it was an impressive house, an ostentatious statement of wealth. Its Grade II* listing rates it as one of the very best old buildings in Newbury.

Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 October 13 18:53 BST (UK) »
1740 is a guess - based on the style of the building.  If the date is right then James Clarke is a fair guess as the architect/builder.  Of course someone with old-fashioned taste might have built it in 1774.

The association with the Head family is largely apochryphal, I don't think there is any evidence to support the theory.  Nor has anyone been able to decide which of the several Heads in Newbury at that date might have had it built. 

However, it was an impressive house, an ostentatious statement of wealth. Its Grade II* listing rates it as one of the very best old buildings in Newbury.

Thanks for that info. The 1740 estimated date helps me narrow down which of the Head family may have been associated with it. I have quite a few Wills relating to the Head family in Newbury and property in Northbrook Street is mentioned in some of those. I think in his will of 1759 Joseph Head mentions his "messuage, tenement and lands" in Northbrook Street and refers to them by the name "Gaskins" (I think that is right but I don't have my transcript to hand). Property in Northbrook Street is also mentioned by Laurence Head (died 1774) as well. If I can narrow down the options a bit more by looking at the Wills and other documents I have I may get a better idea.

Thanks again for the help. I hope yu can help with next building.

Matthew

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 October 13 19:04 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone can date these two buildings. The first building is situated in Market Place, Newbury. It was formerly the White Hart Inn and is mentioned in the 1774 Will of Laurence Head (a maltster). The building is featured in Walter Money's "History of Newbury" which features a picture of the building. At the time Walter Money's work was written/published, the building was home to Gardner [and?] Lander, Solicitors and this seems to have remained the case right up to 2000 when I photographed the building [although I don't know if the solicitors firm was still there, even though the name was]. It would be very interesting to know the age of this building and approximately when it was built.

The second picture is of the Queens Hotel, and I am interested to know when this building may have been built as I would like to know if this was previously the site [or building] of "The Queen's Head" Inn which I have mentioned in an 18th century will.

Hope someone can help.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 10:06 BST (UK) »
I have records of the White Hart going back to the 1730s - probably the same building give or take a modification or three. It is still occupied by Gardner Leader, solicitors.

The Queen's Hotel had a big refurbishment in the 1880s - before which it was the Three Tuns (back to 1755 or earlier).  I doubt that this was the Queen's Head.

I am guessing this was the will of Lawrence Head, 1756. He leaves the Cock Inn and the Queen's Head, but doesn't say where they are.  The Cock was definitely in Newbury - in the Market Place, next door to the Three Tuns on the south side.

Aah - I see it is his son's will - 1774.  He leaves the White Lyon (which makes sense, there were maltings behind it) and the 'the house in the Market Place in Newbury known by the name of the Queens Head'.  Fascinating - a new pub to me.  What is weird is that there is a comprehensive list of Newbury pubs from 1761 - which does not have a Queen's Head. Yet the two wills show it before and after that - so it should be there.  I can only guess that it was under another name for a while. 

In 1761 there were the Mermaid, White Lion, Hatchet, Sun & Tuns, Three Tuns, Cock & Black Bear in the Market Place. The wills show it wasn't the White Lion or the Cock. The Mermaid, Hatchet, Three Tuns and Black Bear are names of long standing - but the Sun & Tuns is only ever mentioned in this list.  Perhaps this was a temporary renaming of the Queen's Head?  If so it is under the Corn Exchange these days.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 20:04 BST (UK) »
I have records of the White Hart going back to the 1730s - probably the same building give or take a modification or three. It is still occupied by Gardner Leader, solicitors.

The Queen's Hotel had a big refurbishment in the 1880s - before which it was the Three Tuns (back to 1755 or earlier).  I doubt that this was the Queen's Head.

I am guessing this was the will of Lawrence Head, 1756. He leaves the Cock Inn and the Queen's Head, but doesn't say where they are.  The Cock was definitely in Newbury - in the Market Place, next door to the Three Tuns on the south side.

Aah - I see it is his son's will - 1774.  He leaves the White Lyon (which makes sense, there were maltings behind it) and the 'the house in the Market Place in Newbury known by the name of the Queens Head'.  Fascinating - a new pub to me.  What is weird is that there is a comprehensive list of Newbury pubs from 1761 - which does not have a Queen's Head. Yet the two wills show it before and after that - so it should be there.  I can only guess that it was under another name for a while. 

In 1761 there were the Mermaid, White Lion, Hatchet, Sun & Tuns, Three Tuns, Cock & Black Bear in the Market Place. The wills show it wasn't the White Lion or the Cock. The Mermaid, Hatchet, Three Tuns and Black Bear are names of long standing - but the Sun & Tuns is only ever mentioned in this list.  Perhaps this was a temporary renaming of the Queen's Head?  If so it is under the Corn Exchange these days.

Hi

Thanks for that interesting and comprehensive reply about the various pubs in Newbury. I must admit I had my doubts about the Queens Hotel being the Queens Head but when I was in Newbury back in 2000 it wa suggested to me as a possible location from the information in the will (I think I spoke to the staff at the library there). I must also say I have not heard of the Cock Inn so that's another name to add to my notes on  the Head family.

I have almost every will left by a member of the Head family in Newbury (I think) from the 1400s to the early 1800s including the two for Laurence (d1756) and Lawrence (1774). One member of the family, Benjamin Head (1690-1747) leaves the following in his  will:

"my messuages or Tenaments with its Rights members? and appurtunances situate in Northbrook Street in Newbury aforesaid and known by the name of Godwins" and also leaves "six acres of Meadow or Pasture Ground with the house and buildings thereon known by the name of the Brinkiln ( Brickiln) and all those two acres of land in the East field of Newbury aforesaid" as well as "
my messuage tenament or Inn situate or lying and being in the Market Place in Newbury aforesaid and called or known by the name or sign of the White Lyon"

Do you have any ideas/suggestions where 'Godwins' was or Bricklin/Brinkiln field?

The White Hart is referred to in the Will of Joseph Head (1670-1759): "all that Messauges, Tenements or Inn situate and being into the  Market place in Newbury aforesaid commonly called or known by the sign of the White Hart" while Lawrence Head (1708-1774) mentions "The White Lyon" in his Will:

"Secondly I give my daughter Sarah Baily for the use of her children to be equally divided after her decease amongst them all that Inn in Newbury known by the sign of the White Lyon also that house in Newbury now in the occupation of my sisters but in the case of she leaves no child or children or they die before they arrive at the age of twenty one years then it is my will that the house above mentioned shall go to my surviving daughters share and share alike"

Lawrence also leaves two acres of Ground called Liddardo Garden (I think that's what it is called) which according to the will is adjoining the Birk Kiln (Bilkin?) Ground to his daughter Catherine. Any suggestions where that might have been?

Thanks again for your help and any suggestions you can make.

Best Wishes
Matthew

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 22:50 BST (UK) »
"my messuages or Tenaments with its Rights members? and appurtunances situate in Northbrook Street in Newbury aforesaid and known by the name of Godwins" and also leaves "six acres of Meadow or Pasture Ground with the house and buildings thereon known by the name of the Brinkiln ( Brickiln) and all those two acres of land in the East field of Newbury aforesaid" as well as "
Newbury was full of alleys which led off the main streets. Many of these were known by the name of the occupier or owner of the building on the main street which they were behind. Originally the town was subdivided into burgage plots - a street frontage with a largish patch of land behind.  The merchants who populated the new town would build their house on the street, from which they would do business, through a gateway and behind could be workshops or just a garden where they could keep a pig, a few hens and grow food.  Steadily the land became far more valuable as building land, so a row of cottages would be put up, then a few more.  Eventually most of the population were living in these alleys. At the beginning of the C20th a study condemned most of these alleys as slums and the clearances began.  More recently they were wiped out in huge blocks in order to build shopping centres, or car parks.

I suspect that Godwin's would have been the cottages in one of these alleys. The alleys changed names often - usually taking their name from the occupier of the house at the front - which would often be a shop.  When the house changed hands the name of the alley would change.

In 1878 they rationalised the naming and gave them permanent names.  There are very few of these alleys left.

A 6 acres named after a brick kiln suggests that it is an area with clay.  This is unlikely to be in the river valley that the town sat in - but there were kilns up the hill on Wash Common - this description sounds like it was an area that had been enclosed (fenced/hedged) rather than part of the commons or main fields (East and West).