Author Topic: david rosie  (Read 17898 times)

Offline bwlboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
david rosie
« on: Thursday 16 June 05 08:42 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was David Rosie born in 1853.He marries a Jessie Simpson.I believe his father was Alexander Rosie.Any info ?

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: david rosie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 05 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi bwlboy,

I had a look on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for you as I had a few credits spare and this is what I found:

David Rosie b. 01/01/1853 Wick, Caithness Father: Alexander Rosie, Mother: Elizabeth Murray

The website is extremely useful and I suggest you have a good look there. You should be able to find the others you asked about as well

Good luck with the search :)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline bwlboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 06:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much.Im going up to caithness for holidays to my cousin on 25th july.So i will be going in to wick and thurso archives.The trouble with caithness research is there are about a dozen surnames who all have the same christian names.There are lots of alexander  rosies etc.Also they tend to call people by different names than the registered one.My mother and here 2 sisters are from wick and neither of them are known by their registered  christian.This seems to be rife.My one grandfather was donald banks but was called Dannie. Typical.Anyway dioch yn fawr,thank you very much in welsh.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 14:27 BST (UK) »
I am jealous - a fair chunk of mt research is in Caithness too - but I am not going to be able to get there till next year or the year after

Good luck  ;)

Jenny

P.S The welsh was lovely - I have ancestors there too - are you Welsh?
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline bwlboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 15:13 BST (UK) »
My mothers side are all from Caithness and my fathers all from Wales.I live in Ynysybwl which is 12 miles north of Cardiff and 3 miles north of Pontypridd.My cousin lives in Bower  halfway between Wick and Thurso.Which part are yours from?

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 05 01:46 BST (UK) »
My Great grandmother was born in Cardiff and her brother in Newport but the rest of the family were born in Bristol. Her father was a mariner and they moved around a fair bit. I had thought that was my only Welsh link but I have just found that her grandmother was born in Chepstow - so I might have more Welsh in me than I once thought  ;)

As for my Caithness ancestors - well I have some in Latheron, Berridale, Wick, Watten and Thurso.... so far anyway  :)

I am still working on both these lines

Jenny

Offline bwlboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 June 05 07:20 BST (UK) »
My grandfather,mother and sister were born in Wick.Is that list under your message a list of surnames in your tree? My first cousins son had a baby girl in wick yesterday.Not him his wife obviously.Another Rosie.My eldest daughter,Sian lives and works in Cardiff.My caithness ancestors were mainly from Canisbay and Stroma,but some moved to wick.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 June 05 11:54 BST (UK) »
Yes it is a bit of a list of my direct ancestors surnames - it is not all of them as I couldn't fit them in  ;)

Congratulations on your new second cousin! If you are anything like me you will have already added them to the family tree  ;D

It just keeps growing doesn't it!

Jenny

Offline bwlboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 June 05 12:49 BST (UK) »
My cousin who im going to stay with was Barrett.My mothers sister who lives in Thurso is Barrett.Lots of welsh names in your list ie-Walters,Capel,James,Edwards,Johns,Phillips,Welsh and Roberts.
My fathers side are all welsh-Rees,Williams,
My mothers are all scottish-Banks,Murray,Rosie,Simpson,Manson