Author Topic: david rosie  (Read 17898 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: david rosie
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 June 05 13:04 BST (UK) »
My only Welsh ones are Walters, and Bowden so far

My Caithness ones are Rutherford, Nicoll, Sutherland, Tait, Williamson, Sandison  :)

maybe I just haven't gotten far enough back on the others yet - why do you say Capel is Welsh?
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline bwlboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 June 05 15:28 BST (UK) »
All the other ones are pure welsh surnames.The only one im not sure is capel .However it is the welsh word for chapel and when welsh were given names by english in the forced union they had to make them up .So had fathers christian name or name of place.So capel could easily be.A former colleague of mine in work is called Bowden.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 June 05 10:03 BST (UK) »
Interesting.... I'll have to keep that in mind when I am doing my researching. So far my Capel's are in Somerset but that is not all that far from Wales  ;)

This just goes to show how little I know about Welsh research - I didn't even know the surname naming pattern!

Thanks again  :)
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline bwlboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 June 05 13:48 BST (UK) »
Edward, robert ,walter, james, and phillip were the names of the fathers of your ancestor who adopted them as surnames as english tax inspectors came to Wales to register people.We had no surnames.The inspectors were english speaking and often spelt them in correctly.Hence my names was spelt Rees not Rhys,Ioan became jones,Dafydd davies etc.My daughter want to spelt it the proper way and i hope she does.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 July 05 03:00 BST (UK) »
I hope she does too :)

Thanks for all this information about the surname origins - I find it fascinating and hopefully it will help me with my searching too  ;)

Good luck with yours

Jenny

Offline bwlboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 July 05 07:21 BST (UK) »
I hope thats not 3 in the morning you are posting? You are up earlier than me. Is there anyone who you want me to look up information about.If you give me some dates and names if will try if i get the chance.Only trouble is im up there for a week and you know what scottish hospitality is like.You spend all the time visiting and having a great time and it flies by.Hope to get time to do my own research. Wick and thurso library have a lot of info on micro film so im bound to go to one of them at least once.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 09:03 BST (UK) »
Ha Ha  ;D It probably is for you!

I am in Australia so it is a bit more reasonable for me here..

I must agree with you about Scottish hospitality so I will look for my own people when I get there next year and leave you to find yours  ;)

Thanks for the offer though

Jenny

Offline bwlboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 July 05 06:57 BST (UK) »
Didnt realise  you were living in OZ. Boiling hot here for over a week.Off to caithness a week tomorrow. Have to practice drinking the water of life this week.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 July 05 11:10 BST (UK) »
Good luck with that - I think I will have to start sampling some scotch whiskey too before I visit as I am normally a rum girl  ;)

Have fun on your trip

Jenny