Author Topic: BALFOUR help please?  (Read 11065 times)

Offline Aussie33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
BALFOUR help please?
« on: Friday 04 October 13 01:00 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me?  Trying to find a record of Alexander Balfour ,whose first known child was born c 1805, so  he was born probably some time before 1784. He was a farmer and a jail warder.

Alexander’s daughters child said that he was a cousin to Arthur James Balfour, once a Prime Minister of England.

From what I can gather;  Arthur James Balfour b 1848 > James Maitland Balfour  b 1820 > James Balfour Esq b 1785 (married Lady Eleanor Maitland in 1815) > John Balfour b 1738 (married Ellen Gordon)

They are a well known family.  Does anyone know if there is a Balfour family history book which may record the lesser known descendants from this family lineage?

I have not found Alexander in the Scottish census & may have been in Ireland .His oldest daughter married 1825 in Galway,Ireland. 

Thanks for any help
Kerri
Docking,Ettridge/Etheridge, Feltus (Ireland),Fuge,
Sisman/Sissman (Sawtry,Hunt,Eng),Stevens (Lochiel/Crystal Brook,SA) ,
Young (Lopen,Somerset), Maguire(Cavan,Ireland),Betts/Bates (Teston,Kent to Western Australia,SA & Vic), Berridge (Hun,Eng)

Families to South Australia

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
Re: BALFOUR help please?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 October 13 13:40 BST (UK) »
a Prime Minister of England.
Whit?
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline Aussie33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 October 13 23:32 BST (UK) »
Yes,  Arthur James Balfour (1848-1930): British statesman and Conservative prime minister. He served as the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from July 1902 to December 1905.
Young (Lopen,Somerset), Maguire(Cavan,Ireland),Betts/Bates (Teston,Kent to Western Australia,SA & Vic), Berridge (Hun,Eng)

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 October 13 23:35 BST (UK) »
He didnae bother with the Scots then?   ;)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 October 13 09:47 BST (UK) »
Arthur Balfour was born at Whittingehame, East Lothian, Scotland, the eldest son of James Maitland Balfour (1820–1856) and Lady Blanche Gascoyne-Cecil (1825-1872). His father was a Scottish MP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Balfour

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 October 13 10:48 BST (UK) »
a Prime Minister of England.

Yes… the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom…

And you cannae see a difference?
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 October 13 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerri,

Someone has info on Rootsweb about the family tree of Arthur James Balfour. From what I've quickly read online it looks like he was from a fairly privileged family for several generations with the male title Baronet of Balbirnie carrying down the line.

Do you know where Alexander Balfour married? How do you know he was a farmer and jail warden?
I take it you have his children's names and where they were born.

Looby  :)

P.S.Don't worry about making an error and calling Balfour The Prime Minister of England instead of The United Kingdom ;). It's an easy mistake to make - you won't be the first or the last to get that muddled.

Offline Aussie33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 October 13 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby
I thought I may have had some help on this forum. The reason I said” Prime Minister of England” is because that is what is written in the old newspaper clipping regarding the “cousin” relationship of Alexander’s  daughters son and Arthur James Balfour.
It was the marriage records of Alexander’s children regarding his occupation of farmer/yeoman, then later on Jail Warder.
I have not been able to find who Alexander married & where his children were born.  I had hoped that the newspaper clipping maybe of some help to gain more information on the family.
Kerri

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 October 13 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerri,

That's interesting that you have a newspaper clipping of Alexander's descendant claiming a connection with Arthur Balfour. Was that in British/Irish press?

Can you give us Alexander's childrens names and approx. date of births if you have that information? At the moment it seems you have established the family in Ireland but not Scotland , am I correct? :)

Don't know of a book about Balfour family history I'm afraid, but maybe some other "helpful" Rootschatter will be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck with your search,

Looby :)