Author Topic: Mary ICKE circa 1847, Madeley, Shropshire  (Read 1502 times)

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Public Tree on Ancestry
    • View Profile
Mary ICKE circa 1847, Madeley, Shropshire
« on: Friday 04 October 13 10:42 BST (UK) »
Can anyone throw any light on MARY ICKE who, according to the 1847 Madeley Tithe Map and Apportionment owned Randall’s Yard ( off Prince Street) and no 86 Prince Street Madeley, Shropshire?

A visit to Shropshire Archives drew a blank and nothing obvious coming up on A2A.

86 Prince Street was sold by the Madeley Wood Co in 1926. I am interested in the history of this property, how/when it passed from Mary ICKE to the Madeley Wood Co. and who owned it between 1820 and 1847.

This is in connection with a search for the location if T M Randall's China Works. Thomas Martin Randall was born in Broseley in 1786, and initially trained as a china decorator at the Caughley China works, before moving to Derby and then on to London in c.1810 (Edmundson 1994, 23). In 1826, the Randall family returned to Shropshire, occupying a house in Park Lane, before taking more ‘commodious premises’ at the lower end of Madeley, which Turner (1908, 155) describes as being ‘near to the side of the old canal. Here he continued to decorate wares for London retailers, but also erected biscuit, glost and enamel kilns on his new premises (Turner 1908. 155). In 1840, Randall moved his family and works to a new site in Shelton, in the Staffordshire potteries.

Is this Randall's Yard his works - that is the question?

Any help appreciated.
Allan
Tweedie, Garnett,  Smith - !!!, Fearnley,
Bennetts, Waterhouse, Horobin, Tranter

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mary ICKE circa 1847, Madeley, Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 October 13 11:03 BST (UK) »
I can add that also according to the 1847 tithe the house was occupied by William Headley and the yard was occupied by Thomas Smith (no relation to me). So was the house or yard in any way connected to the pottery industry on the 41/51 census.

I am off to the library to consult the census.

Allam

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 October 13 12:30 BST (UK) »
I didn't have any luck on Ancestry at the library, could anyone try a street look up on Find My Past please?

I wasn't able to uniquely identify a Mary ICKE. William HEADLEY is in High ST, Madeley as is Thomas Smith - but Prince St runs on from the end of High St.
If anything can be identified from the walking route that might be useful

Thanks

Allan

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 October 13 19:59 BST (UK) »
Does John Randall's History of Madeley give any clues? His book on the Clay Industries only says the lower end of Madeley Wood.

Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 October 13 19:53 BST (UK) »
That was our starting point, it doesn't give any further clues. A long period of research went it trying to discover Randalls Works. This culminated in an archaeological dig a couple of months ago by our community archaeology group. We are now carrying post excavation research whilst cleaning up the finds and working on a report. The main clue was the name 'Randall's Yard' on the 1847 tithe map, the area we excavated is pretty much the only piece of undisturbed, undeveloped, land left over from Randall's Yard, which is also close to the old canal. We were hoping to id Mary and then maybe (wish-full thinking, flying pigs and all that) find pointers to paperwork in the archives at shrewsbury that as yet are not properly indexed.

Allan