Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)David Jolly,St Cyrus, Master of the Countess of Airlie.  (Read 16417 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
OK this has taken years to get to this point so I'm going to give way too much info just in case anyone knows a little bit of the puzzle.
Known: David Jolly born 1811 married Diana Rae in 1837 in St Cyrus. (she's buried in St Cyrus graveyard)
Diana was daughter to William Rae (b 1778) and Margaret McBey (b1777)
David Jolly was a master mariner sailing out of Montrose (mainly) - through shipping news/Lloyd's lists etc I've got him master of the Victory (not that one!)1844 -1845 then the Countess of Airlie - I'm so sad I've got a list of all his runs - mainly to Riga and back with flax or wheat. Finally Nov 3rd 1847 (from the 'Montrose Review' but reported in an Aberdeen newspaper) "grave concern for the Countess of Airlie" - then nothing. I'm presuming he was lost at sea as Diana marries a George Nicol in 1857.
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Jolly, St Cyrus, Master of the Countess of Airlie out of Montrose in 1847
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 October 13 12:45 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the National Archives Jenny,
  http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

or the Edinburgh Gazette
http://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/

Skoosh

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: David Jolly, St Cyrus, Master of the Countess of Airlie out of Montrose in 1847
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 October 13 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks,
yip checked them but nada...you would have thought the loss of a Montrose brigantine would have made the Scottish press even if it was doing a Riga/London run? I've also checked the English press but found nothing about the Countess of Airlie going down. David Jolly is my GGG grandfather and I need some way to confirm his parents were William and Catharine Shieret (Sheret?). If he died at sea and there's no more information fine I can finally stop and put my huge folders of family papers to bed.
Jen

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 October 13 16:40 BST (UK) »
Diana certainly has the martial status of W for widow on the 1851 Census though her occupation given is Seaman Captain's wife. That would suggest David died pre -1851.
Looby :)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 October 13 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Looby,
Yes I'm sure he died in 1847 on the Countess of Airlie what I can't establish is the fact the ship actually sank. It was last reported off Elsinore...the North Sea in October not the greatest place to be.  Diana gave birth to her third child in May 1847 also called David - tough times. Diana did go on to have a rather interesting life - her second husband accidentally drowned and he was a farmer not a mariner! I can't tell you what it was like to find a 'newish' grave stone at St Cyrus erected by her grand daughter (Diana Beattie) in memory of her mother Margaret Moncur (age 94) (nee Jolly) and her Grandmother Diana Rae (age 84).
Cheers
Jen

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 October 13 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,
Have you checked out the Merchant Seaman Records?
Find My Past have the record of a David Jolly, year of birth 1810 place of birth Montrose available to view. Unfortunately I do not have a subscription to that site. You can buy pay to view credits or purchase a subscription. I have no clue if the above David will be your man or if the record will provide any new info.   :-\   Maybe you've found this already.
Good luck with your hunt,
Looby  :)

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 October 13 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen, Not the david you seek but chances are the same family.
Grave in Johnshaven Old Graveyard just three miles north of St Cyrus
Cheers,
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 October 13 13:24 BST (UK) »
Looby - thanks - bought some more credits at Findmypast - managed to look at one merchant seaman record and them all my credits vanished! Emailed them so hopefully a result on Monday mind the 1835/36 records are a little scant to say the least.  Thanks for that - I'm hoping one of the other two will show - 'lost at sea'...maybe I'll get lucky and one of the records will be from BT115 then I'll get to know his eye coulour!
Sy,
Yes probably related but until I get 'my' David Jolly sorted I can't confirm his parents - he is my total stumbliing block...
Thanks for the help...I'll let you know if I get anywhere on Monday...although really should get some other work done!
Jen

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 October 13 15:49 BST (UK) »
Well now I know he was mate on the Venus from 1835 till 1839, then in 1840 a short stint as Master on the Minerva, then master of the Victory in 1844 till it was sold then master on the Countess of Airlie- then nothing  Totally at a dead end.  Does not help that in one listing alone he has his birth place as, Benholm, Montrose and St Cyrus! Looks like my family tree stops with a missing mariner - can't be the first time that's happened. Thanks everyone.
Jen