Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)David Jolly,St Cyrus, Master of the Countess of Airlie.  (Read 16416 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Jolly, St Cyrus, Master of the Countess of Airlie out of Montrose in 1847
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny,
What a fabulous find from Alan In Australia!
Do you therefore think there has been an error and the captain named as Bland is your David Jolly?
What an end , throwing yourself off the ship because you'd fell off the wagon!
It's finds like this that makes Family History so addictive and fun.
Looby :)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: David Jolly, St Cyrus, Master of the Countess of Airlie out of Montrose in 1847
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Looby,
No, it's Robert Brand not my David Jolly but it's another wee bit of the puzzle as Brand could not have been captain when the ship goes missing....plus finding Brand's widow has given me some more leads to work on...not sure if the ship will ever be found but at least I can be sure it was not Brand who was lost at the same time as the Countess of Airlie....
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I've got it now :-[ just having a bit of a daft moment.

So Bland/Brand had been recorded as Captain of The Countess of Airlie in 1847 when very obviously he couldn't have been.
You never know what might pop up next,
Good luck,
Looby  :)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 11:31 BST (UK) »
And finally....

Thanks to a lot of help on Rootschat and further afield plus a bit more digging I think I can safely say my captain went down with the Countess of Airlie in 1847. Once again, it was all about making those connections.

I recently followed through on the 9 year old John Hood to be found with his granny Margaret Rae living in St Cyrus in 1841. He turned out to be  the son of Diana Rae and a John Hood born Milton, St Cyrus on the 3rd of June 1832 - five years before Diana married David Jolly.

John Hood joins the merchant navy in 1846, on his navy record his birth place is given as St Cyrus and his birthdate is given as the 3rd of June 1831 - that makes him only 14 not the stated 15 when he goes to sea as an apprentice. There are only two years of records for John 1846 and 1847...in the 1847 column is written 'Lost'. This is the year the Countess of Airlie goes missing. An inspection of both his and David Jolly's records for 1846 and 1847 show they were both sailing on the same ship (huge thanks to Seaweed for helping me with the navy codes). I'll still want to look at the crew list (if it exists) at Kew but I'm fairly confident that John Hood was sailing with his step-father on the Countess of Airlie and that Diana Rae lost both her husband and son in late 1847.

Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir