Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)David Jolly,St Cyrus, Master of the Countess of Airlie.  (Read 16415 times)

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: David Jolly, St Cyrus, Master of the Countess of Airlie out of Montrose in 1847
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 October 13 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Again
You are certainly on the right track with the locations you mention.

Beholm is the Parish for the small fishing village of Johnshaven the birthplace of many seafairers - some of my ancestors included.
St Cyrus is both a Village and a Parish and many seafairers Came from the Village of Miltonhaven before it was washed away in a great storm.
Montrose and the nearby village of Ferryden, like those above have had a long seafairing history.
The village of Gourdon, three miles north of Johnshaven is in Bervie Parish and shares the same seafairing history as its neighbours.
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
Re: David Jolly, St Cyrus, Master of the Countess of Airlie out of Montrose in 1847
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not much to offer I'm afraid but

The Angus and Mearns Directory and Almanac 1846/47 has
(1) David Jolly listed as a Shipmaster living on Hill Street, Montrose. 
(2) In the List of Vessels registered at the Ports of Montrose, Arbroath, Dundee, Perth, Aberdeen and Stonehaven the brigantine The Countess of Airlie, built 1837, owned by David Mackie, Shipmaster David Jolly.

Lloyds Shipping Register 1/7/1846-30/6/1847 and 1/7/1847-30/6/1848 has R Brand of Balmain Street, Montrose as Shipmaster of The Countess of Airlie, owned by Mackie & Co and built in Dundee 1831.  The Register for the next year does not list The Countess of Airlie.

University of Dundee Archives ref MS73 Builders, owners, major incidents, crew members, etc. of all ships built in Dundee 1767-1980 by John P Ingram Shipping Correspondent of The Courier.

Wills 1576-1800
William Jollie mariner in Montrose 17/1/1749
Alexander Jollie shipmaster in Montrose 2/12/1779

William Jolly b Laurencekirk d Canada 16/6/1931 (born 1854)

I definitely wouldn't give up on David and his origins.  There are Sherret(t)s in the St Cyrus registers, and Catherine appears to have had a brother called David bpt 1818.  It might be possible to match the David Jolly's in the area to those on later census returns to see which one has disappeared.

I wonder what the law was in 1847 and whether Diana had to wait 7 years before remarrying as David could only be presumed to have died?

Might also be worth putting an appeal/article in www.stcyrusnewsletter.org as there may well still be members of the family locally and who knows, maybe some stories have been passed down!

Good luck
Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 October 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valerie you've inspired me to keep going! I'm going to have hours (days?) of fun with those directories -scrolling through now saying to myself - yes know that David Jolly the baker funny how he's also married to a Diana (41 census)...
It is great seeing DJ in an 'official' document as captain of the Countess of Airlie - until now I've only had newspaper reports that stated him as the master...LLoyd's only list Brand as the master not DJ.  I'm sure it is him living in Montrose in 46/47 as their first child was born in Montrose but baptised in St Cyrus.
Question - the final listing of the Countess of Airlie in the 47/48 Lloyd's Reg - does not list a rating, port or route does this mean/indicate/hint at her being lost ?
Recap - I've now got him on the Venus 35-40, The Minerva in 40, the Jane in 43, the Victory 44/45 and the Countess of Airlie 46/47...I probably know more about the trips he made than his wife!
I thought I could avoid those Sherrets/Sheiret/Sherets looks like I'll have hunt them down...I was hoping for less names not more!
Thanks everyone for your help it's been great.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 October 13 14:47 BST (UK) »
hi,
diana rae is my 1c5r, her parents are william rae margaret mcbay.
I have found a document on FindMyPast for david jolly which may interest
you. two images from bt111/35(3037) attached.
I hope these help.
yet another name to add to the everlasting ancestors we have.
Regards
Mike :)
Note Surname variations:- Kae and McBay
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 October 13 16:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mike,
These documents helped me put together some of his voyages.  I just wish I could find something about the Countess of Airlie going down.  Right now I'm back outside doing a bit of gardening - we've lucked out for an Indian summer here so family tree on the back burner until the weather breaks. I'm leaving those pesky Sherrets/Sheiret/Sherets for the late winter nights! As savage amusement come the snow I think I'll try and link all the Jollys listed in the 1841 census - there's not that many of them in the NE of Scotland so it may be doable.
Cheers
Jen

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 November 13 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Update on the 'Countess of Airlie'...Montrose museum or library cannot add anything further regarding the disappearance of this ship in 1847.  I've been through the 'weekly maritime causalities' in Lloyd's weekly from Sept 12 to Dec 26th 1847 - nothing.  I've got 20+ mentions in the press regarding its trips with my GGGgrand father as captain in 46/47 then the article about the grave concern for the ship then nothing. Starting to become somewhat of an expert on the year 1847 though!
Jen

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 January 14 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Red letter day...I've managed to find my father's cousin who has a copy of the picture I've been trying to get hold of for three years. Looks like my mother passed it to him when my dad died in 1995! Anyways, it a picture of Captain David Jolly and his ship - I wish I could say the inscription reads Captain Jolly on the Countess of Airlie just before he was lost at sea in 1847 but alas not. The good news is it's my Captain on the Minerva in 1840 (the first ship he was master of according to the documentation I have)...but sailing into the bay at Marseilles. I've only got him sailing around the coast and multiple Riga runs but looks like he might have also sailed to France - very apropos given that's where I am.  Despite almost going blind reading Lloyds Weekly List of Marine Casualties I'm still none the wiser as to what happened to the Countess in 1847...but I do now have the inscription - think that calls for a glass of wine!
Jen

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen, Not the david you seek but chances are the same family.
Grave in Johnshaven Old Graveyard just three miles north of St Cyrus
Cheers,
Sy
Hi Sy,
Little did I know when you posted that gravestone photo.....currently working on Jolly waifs and stays from the 1841 census.  I had a wee boy called James Jolly living with the Stiven's family in Durris age 9mths. Noticed one of the servants is called Isabella Gordon - bells ringing now as I've seen somewhere a Gordon/Jolly marriage .  51 Census there's James now 10 living with his parents Isabella and David Jolly and his wee brother David age 9mths...later to marry Isabella Bruce and live to the ripe old age of 90! James dad in now in the Angus pile as he was born in Logie Pert. I've got the death cert of 'gravestone' David Jolly which lists his parents and wife so everything ties in...back to waifs and strays.
Jen

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Just posting this to give hope to everyone who thinks they'll never get another piece of the puzzle. Thanks to Alan in Australia for finding this nugget.  OK Brand is down as the captain of the ship in 1846 and 1847 but I know he's not by the shipping news and the Angus directories which list my Captain Jolly but that was all I knew until I read this. I know he's listed as Bland not Brand but this must be the man....
Jen

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0y30/