Author Topic: NSW: Alexander John LUCKMAN , Born 1835, Bath, Somerset  (Read 6239 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: NSW: Alexander John LUCKMAN , Born 1835, Bath, Somerset
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 August 15 04:55 BST (UK) »
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/research-topics/convicts/new-south-wales-convict-records-lost-and-saved

Some interesting and informative comments re NSW convict records lost and saved.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline trikidiki

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 August 15 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the additional information.

I had the report of his TOL being cancelled and noticed another lad from his ship had gone missing at the same time. The goldrush looks a likely reason for his departure, from his previous behaviour in Parkhurst it is not unusual for him to not 'toe the line'.

If they had gone prospecting, as his 'co-escapee' appears to have 'returned', we can assume they didn't make their fortune. One hopes that Alexander may also have returned and the trail may not be stone cold.

A shame about the loss of records, as I'm always telling my wife, "I won't throw it out it might be useful one day".

Cheers

Dik

Offline trikidiki

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 September 17 19:28 BST (UK) »
Could Alexander have made his fortune?

From Westport Times 7 August 1869.

A nugget was brought into the Union Bank, Rockhampton, on July 15th, from Mount Wheeler, Cawarral; it was found one foot from the surface and contains 258 ounces 11dwts. pure gold. This splendid nugget was discovered by a boy named Cadden, working with his father. Another nugget was found just under the ground in an adjoining claim, by a lad named Luckman, weighing 180 ounces and also placed in the Bank.