Author Topic: Shaw Family West Indies to Scotland  (Read 4694 times)

Offline kshaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shaw Family West Indies to Scotland
« on: Sunday 06 October 13 12:57 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone could help me, as I know very little about how to find or look for these type of records dating back to late 1700/ early 1800's.

I'm looking for information about a man called Donald Shaw who I believe was born in Scotland near Inverness but ended up in the West Indies around 1790's or first few years of 1800's. I think that he may have returned to Scotland before 1841 but because it was a common name in the area I can't figure out which one he is. I don't know when he was born/died only that he was married to a women called Reinas (Baillie) and that they had at least one child while in the West Indies.

David (Edward) Shaw born between 1804 - 1811 (every doc has a different birth year, but on his DC it says aged 72 making birth year 1811..... but his year of marriage was 1824...so 1811 can't be right!) In the West Indies. I know that he arrived in Scotland sometime before 1824 when he got married in Inverness.

I have another posting about this David Shaw, trying to find out about him as to his birth etc, but thought that if I could find out when he or his parents came over to the UK it might help.

Any help is greatly welcomed even if to only point me as to were to look. Thank you for taking the time to read this. x

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw Family West Indies to Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 October 13 13:14 BST (UK) »
KS,  see if there's anything on this,   http://www.spanglefish.com/slavesandhighlanders/index.asp

Skoosh.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 October 13 15:09 BST (UK) »
Have you checked to see if there is a will on ScotlandsPeople? Also, have you checked the on-line catalogue of the National Archives of Scotland? It might also be worth looking at newspaper indices for him.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 October 13 15:13 BST (UK) »

Offline kshaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 October 13 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I can't find anything.... oddly enough there is talk of other  Shaw's  and a connection to the family name Baillie. So I guess it's possible that they are related in some way.... I do seem to keep running into these same Shaw's but can't find a paper trail to connect them.

I found a will for two different David Shaws', one was the one named on the site you sent me the other has a different spouse named.

I think I'll have to keep looking for a record of birth of Bap'd for David.

Thank you for your help, I'll keep looking X

Offline woodvillecaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 March 14 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kshaw,
I have a David Shaw in my tree. He lived Scorguie outside Inverness and was a farmer. There is a another David Shaw at Black park Inverness which is a nearby farm. In 1841 census it says he was aged 30 and was born overseas. He was living with Ann MacLeod aged 35.
Haven't worked out if they are related yet, these two David Shaws as I am trying to get further back with my relative. My David lived in the Muirton/Scorguie area, married Margaret Reid and had Sarah Shaw who married Allan McRae. Sarah had a sibling Donald Shaw, born 1806.

Offline kshaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Woodvillecaz
Sadly I can't help in regards to how or if they are related, I can only guess that they were since they lived so close. I know next to nothing about my David's parents and have yet to find a sibling to help put things together.
Yes the David Shaw that you found living with Ann Mcleod in the 1841 Census at Black Park is the one in my tree. I'm going to have a wee look at your's and help to see if they might match up.... it's always a bit harder past the 1841 census if you haven't got much to go on! haha

Offline Kathy Newey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 May 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, has been a few years since you posted regarding Donald Shaw and Reinas Baillie.  I was wondering if you have made any progress.  I have been helping a relative trace her family and I think she descends from this couple.  I have not found anything more than what you have in your messages on here, that is the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1881 census and the death cert for David Edward Shaw.  Look forward to hearing from you.  Regards  Kathy in New Zealand

Offline kshaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, Sadly not many records have survived from the area that it appears our Shaws' lived/were born in the West Indies. I managed to narrow the location down to David Edward Shaw having been born on the Island of Grenada. I have also been in touch via FB and email with another family member (I think we figured out that she and my husband are 3rd or 4th cousins). She has not been able to get anything else either. I have found a lot on David E. Shaw after getting married but not a lot before. Nor have I been about to confirm which Donald Shaw was his father. I do strongly believe that Donald was from the Inverness area before going to W.I. but I have no documents to back that up 100%, I have 3 different Donald Shaws' that I'm still looking at.