Author Topic: Shaw Family West Indies to Scotland  (Read 3041 times)

Offline KathyN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw Family West Indies to Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 May 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Kat
Have sent you a PM.  Thanks
Kathy

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline newbeginings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw Family West Indies to Scotland
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 April 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
I don't know if I'm the only Scot that didn't know/is very surprised at this, but on researching a branch of my family from Banffshire to Jamaica (with the army) I found that there was already a large concentration of their unusual surname there (Farquharson) - anyway it turns out that some of these people were Jacobites shipped over after Culloden.  I was horrified to find that there is a place called Farquharson Wharf where slaves were bought and sold, and the UCL slave-owners study has a great deal of north-east Scotland names.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.