Author Topic: 1901 census  (Read 1786 times)

Offline 4boysmily

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 census
« on: Tuesday 08 October 13 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am brand new to the site, and hope someone can assist me.  I am trying to access the 1901 census for Duntocher.  My mom's father  according to her and the 1911 N Ireland census has him born in Scotland, but every site I try wants me to pay for access.  I understand them trying to make money, but the N. Ireland census is free as are others and just wanted to know why the Scottish one charges?  Is there somewhere else I could access it? My mom is in the late stages of dementia, and as I live on a limited income in Canada the chances of me travelling to Scotland are slim and none, as is my spending money on non essential items.  I have a long way to go in my family history search, and I would really hate to be stymied at such an early stage of the hunt.  Thank you in advance for any assistance you may have.  Mily

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat.  The only online source for Scottish census images is Scotlandspeople a payperview website. http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Other pay sites do have transcriptions but not images. You could check if your local library has access to Ancestry as that site does have Scottish census transcriptions.

Andy

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 13:09 BST (UK) »
What was the name you were looking for and we can have a look

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 20:32 BST (UK) »
You will also be able to view the birth certificate on that Scotlandspeople site. It is not expensive.Rootschat has posts on how to obtain the most from your searches. See the link below. It would be advisable to read them before spending any money:)
Hope this helps,
flst

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=562668.0
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.