Author Topic: What's this place in Tipperary?  (Read 8393 times)

Offline maquis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What's this place in Tipperary?
« on: Tuesday 08 October 13 13:57 BST (UK) »
My 2x great grandfather was born in Co Tipperary, but I can't decipher his birthplace given on his daughter's 1879 NZ birth certificate. (He married in 1859 in Galbally, Co Limerick.)  Hoping someone here might have an idea :)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What's this place in Tipperary?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 14:10 BST (UK) »
I would say it is SOLOHEAD
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline maquis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 14:13 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, thank you so much!

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 15 23:54 BST (UK) »
I am interested in families from Solohead and Galbally who came to New Zealand around the 1870s. I am particularly interested in a connection to the surname BRUTON and I wondered whether BURTON was a possible surname variation.

Offline maquis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 September 15 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris - the two surnames seem to have different origins, but it's possible that the spelling of one changed due to error at some point...?  It seems strange that my Burton ancestor with links to Solohead and Galbally who emigrated to New Zealand around 1875/6 would not be somehow connected to your Bruton family with similar links.  My John Burton married Bridget Mahoney in Galbally in 1859 and they had several children in Ireland before emigrating to NZ.

Do you know what ship your Brutons travelled on?  Family stories regarding my ancestors suggest they came over on the Fernglen, but I haven't found them on any passenger lists to date.  They settled in the Blenheim area.

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 September 15 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris - the two surnames seem to have different origins, but it's possible that the spelling of one changed due to error at some point...?  It seems strange that my Burton ancestor with links to Solohead and Galbally who emigrated to New Zealand around 1875/6 would not be somehow connected to your Bruton family with similar links.  My John Burton married Bridget Mahoney in Galbally in 1859 and they had several children in Ireland before emigrating to NZ.
The BRUTON connection is not my direct line.  I am interested in a family from Solohead by the name of CARR who I believe are my direct ancestors although I am still looking for proof. I have a James CARR and a Mary DONNELL or O'DONNELL who were married at Galbally in 1840. James CARR appears to have had a sister Catherine who married an Edmond BRUTON. They have one child John born about 1825 and then they seem to disappear. Later a Catherine BRUTAN turns up in the Griffiths Valuation living at Gortavoher West. Gortavoher West is in the civil parish of Clonbeg but it is in the Catholic Parish of Galbally.
I am looking for a New Zealand link which may explain why my ancestor Catherine CARR came to New Zealand in 1874/1875. Probably a co-incidence but the witness or sponsor to her possible baptism in 1845 was a Catherine Mahoney.

Offline maquis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 September 15 00:41 BST (UK) »
Ah!  That is very interesting.  According to John's death certificate, his parents were Edmond Burton and Kate Carr.  He was born around 1826.

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 September 15 00:45 BST (UK) »
Ah!  That is very interesting.  According to John's death certificate, his parents were Edmond Burton and Kate Carr.  He was born around 1826.
Well that would fit in quite nicely.  Do you have any information about their lives in New Zealand.

Offline maquis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 September 15 00:52 BST (UK) »
I have a little about the Burtons, not a lot unfortunately. Two of the children (Francis and Hanorah/Norah) married Burke siblings, and I have more on that line.  Will take a look and see what I have!