Author Topic: What's this place in Tipperary?  (Read 8392 times)

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What's this place in Tipperary?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 September 15 01:06 BST (UK) »
I have a little about the Burtons, not a lot unfortunately. Two of the children (Francis and Hanorah/Norah) married Burke siblings, and I have more on that line.  Will take a look and see what I have!
It would be interesting to see if their lives crossed paths at any time.  If I can link my ancestor Catherine CARR to your BURTON family in New Zealand then I will be able to confirm that I am researching the correct CARR family.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 September 15 13:12 BST (UK) »
http://registers.nli.ie/#home_map

The RC parish registers are now free online (if that is their denomination)

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 September 15 21:56 BST (UK) »
http://registers.nli.ie/#home_map

The RC parish registers are now free online (if that is their denomination)

Perhaps this should be a new topic.  I am aware that the RC registers are online.  Unfortunately with regards to my research this is not the problem.

My ancestor Catherine CARR was born in Tipperary sometime between 1842 and 1846. At the time of her marriage in 1881 she had lived in or near Dunedin, New Zealand for 6 years. Unfortunately for me the registration certificates that I have acquired to date shed little light on her origins.

Her marriage registration gives her parents as James and Mary.  It was a common custom on registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages in New Zealand to give the place of birth as the nearest town although in some cases only the county or country are recorded. The certificate provided above is exceptionally detailed.

One fact in my favour is that the surname CARR is not overly common in Tipperary and I have been able to identify only one Catherine CARR who fits the brief. This Catherine CARR was born at Cullen in Tipperary in 1845 and baptised in the parish of Solohead. In 1874 this Catherine along with four of her siblings emigrated to New South Wales. Two brothers John and James had earlier emigrated to Australia and were living in the vicinity of Clarence River. As my research into this family progressed (initially with the idea of ruling them out) I found that I was able to amass information about all of the siblings from online sources with the exception of Catherine.

On the balance of probability therefore, it would appear that my ancestor Catherine CARR was born at Cullen in Tipperary in 1845 and initially emigrated to Australia with her siblings before again emigrating to New Zealand sometime in the next year. It would appear at this stage that her family in Australia lost contact with her.

Catherine is a bit of an enigma.  She appears to be quite a capable person but at the time of her death not a lot of information was known about her. Catherine died in Whanganui in 1929 and is buried in the Catholic Cemetery there. Unfortunately her death registration only lists her parents surname as CARR.

My focus at this stage is in identifying possible relatives of Catherine both in Tipperary and in New Zealand to determine to what extent there was any contact.

The baptismal register from the parish of Solohead gives the children of James CARR and Mary DONNELL (O'DONNELL) as

1842 John
1845 Catherine
1852 Mary
1848 James
1855 Denis
1858 Margaret
1861 Bridget

The sponsor to the baptism of Mary CARR in 1851 was Catherine BRUTON.

According to the parish register of Solohead in 1824 a Catherine CARR married Edmond BRUTON. The witnesses were John and Catherine CARR.

On the balance of probability it would appear that James and Catherine were siblings and that their parents were John and Catherine.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
Ah!  That is very interesting.  According to John's death certificate, his parents were Edmond Burton and Kate Carr.  He was born around 1826.
Well that would fit in quite nicely.  Do you have any information about their lives in New Zealand.

John's baptismal record 12 July 1825 can be seen in Sologhead parish records Link http://137.191.249.36/registers/vtls000632757#page/27/mode/1up
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline maquis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 13:30 BST (UK) »

Thanks annclare!  I forgot the Sologhead parish registers went back that far, will have to go chase up more family when I get a chance :D

Offline Wayne Kennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hello and greetings from New Zealand, I hope I'm not too late to be joining this conversation.
John Carr Burton is my Grt Grt Grandfather and I am the present custodian of the NZ Burton Family Bible.  The names Carr, Park and Galbally appear in several family names on my tree. Other paternal family names are Hickey and Kennedy.  I have recorded everything that I have on My Heritage.  According to a NZ Burton cousin who has done a lot of research there is evidence of a change in name from Bruton to Burton at the time of Edmond.  Im happy to share what I have in case of interest.  A lot of what is said below ties nicely in with this I think.  I have written a small document about the bible and will be happy to also share that.

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hello and greetings from New Zealand, I hope I'm not too late to be joining this conversation.
John Carr Burton is my Grt Grt Grandfather and I am the present custodian of the NZ Burton Family Bible.  The names Carr, Park and Galbally appear in several family names on my tree. Other paternal family names are Hickey and Kennedy.  I have recorded everything that I have on My Heritage.  According to a NZ Burton cousin who has done a lot of research there is evidence of a change in name from Bruton to Burton at the time of Edmond.  Im happy to share what I have in case of interest.  A lot of what is said below ties nicely in with this I think.  I have written a small document about the bible and will be happy to also share that.

Hello Wayne,

I am connected to the Carr family and would be interested in any references in your Bible.

I would also like to know how the HICKEY family connect. I suspect that a female CARR married a HICKEY but I don't know for sure.

I have a tree showing some of the descendants of Edmund BURTON/BRUTON that was sent to me a few years back possibly as a result of an earlier post on this topic.

Christine

Offline Wayne Kennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,

That was quick!  Rather than try to explain the Hickey relationship by email I can provide access to my tree which will display it all.  I suspect we are connected but I don't have anything before Catherine Bruton/Burton (Carr) and that part of the family isn't mentioned in the bible which starts with John Carr Burton and his descendants.  His mother Catherine was born Carr.

Send me your email address and I can send a copy of the bible story along with an invitation to join the tree.  I will be interested in your Carr family connections and how they relate to Catherine.

regards
Wayne.

Offline Kieranburton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 January 20 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wayne,

My name is Kieran Burton and I am a descendant of Edmond & Elizabeth Burton and living in Blenheim, NZ. I stumbled across this forum googling John carr Burton as I visited his grave last week. I have some info on the family but would be really interested in the info you have. Could I trouble you to email me with some info if possible. (*)
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kieran.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php