Author Topic: Location info query  (Read 5381 times)

Offline laurenbavin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Location info query
« on: Thursday 10 October 13 04:01 BST (UK) »
Im currently doing a small direct decendant book that I wish to give as a gift to some cousins. For the earliest generations I know of , of course I dont have any photographs or much info so I would like to be able to put a map in it of the locations that the families lived .
Im lucky in that a now deceased relative did a lot of the hard work research which I have access to -
The family in question are the Brodie family
John Brodie ( m Elizabeth Folsetter Buchanan) in1835
Census has him living at the following places

Dykeside ( 1841)
Brewgo ( 1851)
Rosebud ( 1861 and 1871)

I think I found Dykeside via the Canmore Mapping website - it lists a farmstead near Rothiesholm ( nothing there now)
but I cant find Brewgo or Rosebud - can anyone shed any light on those locations
Then the daughter Elizabeth Taylor Brodie I have living at Chinglebrae  on her marriage registration , and the birth of her first son was at Milltown.

If anyone could give me approximate current locations for any of these places I would appreciate it
Goodwin, Middlebrook, Farrer, Mclellan,Poole,Bavin

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Location info query
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 October 13 06:32 BST (UK) »
Presumably all of these places will be around the same area? If so, and as you have found Dykeside, you can check the NLS maps, some of which are really detailed, and examine the surrounding area to see if you can spot Brewgo and Rosebud. http://maps.nls.uk/
(Rosebud sounds like the name of a house though so you may not find some of these places on any map).

Something else to try is as you know where they are living in the censuses you can look at the neighbouring addresses which sometimes can give you a better idea of location. (keep in mind that in remote areas the neighbours may be miles away and it can be tricky to work out the route the enumerator took  :))

Offline Skyran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 October 13 22:27 BST (UK) »
If you zoom in and look at the bottom right of this map http://maps.nls.uk/view/75136755 you'll find a house called Brogeo which I think will be Brewgo.  Spelling of places varied a great deal in the census records. I had a look for Rosebud in the same series of maps without success but if you look at the properties next to it in the census it must have been situated somewhere near Errigarth, Suiehall and Samsonslane all of which are marked on this map http://maps.nls.uk/view/75136743  I hope this is of help.

Offline laurenbavin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 October 13 22:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - I bet you are right about Brogeo
Goodwin, Middlebrook, Farrer, Mclellan,Poole,Bavin

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 October 13 01:08 BST (UK) »
Excellent maps Skyran - I doubt there would be any with better detail than that. I also agree that Brogeo/Brewgo are likely to be one and the same.

Offline corkney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 June 16 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Laurenbavin

Three years late but I have only just joined this site! I hope this message gets to you.
I thought you might be interested to know that the family who own Samsonslane on Stronsay (close to the road leading to rothiesholm) have a field named John Brodie that I presume he used to live on.
I could provide more information for you if you like, but I realise this is a very late reply!
Hope you found the information you needed. :)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 June 16 03:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat corkney. I think all information is always welcome even if it comes late. :)

Lauren was last on rootschat only a few weeks ago, so she should receive notification that you have posted here.

Offline corkney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 October 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks!

I'm not allowed to personal message until I have made at least 3 posts and I'm also not allowed to post personal details but I will say what I know for now!
The man who owns samsons Lane Farm said that it was said that the field was called John brodie as a man of that name used to live there, but there is no house there now and he doesn't remember there ever being one (he is 70 now). The field is next to the suiehall Road opposite a house called ellerslie. There are folks on the island of Stronsay who would be able to know for sure and when I can private message you they would be happy for me to give you their details.
There is the family history society in the Orkney library in Kirkwall which can be accessed online and costs only a few pounds to join. If you have Facebook there is a public group called "Stronsay" which you can freely ask questions in and someone in the know will be able to help.

Sorry I can't be much use to you at the moment as I am a new member but I hope this helps. As soon as I can private message I'll give you email addresses etc. Please let me know if you have received this post.
 :)