Author Topic: FISHER baptisms in the Parish of Everton in Nottingham.  (Read 18231 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: FISHER baptisms in the Parish of Everton in Nottingham.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Baptised Ordsall
5-1-1809 Eliza dau of Edward and Ann FOWE
Burial Misson
25-6-1847 George Fisher age not given abode Bawtry
Marriage's Bawtry
11-10-1814 John FOW & Lydia Baines
28-6-1824 William Hindley & Martha Fow
My Cd does not have Bawtry baptisms or burials.
Marriage's Ordsall
15-12-1794 Thomas FOW & Martha Undy
11-2-1811 John FOWE & Mary Wilson

Marriage Blyth
23-6-1808 Edward FOW and Ann FOW
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Thrumpton is now part of Retford, some 10 miles further south of Bawtry, but well within a natural area I would think. I have no known personal connection to the area, but my wife's father's family (Taylor) originated at Everton. Initially they were farm workers until the railway scattered them far and wide. My late father in law was born in Leeds, and the family later returned to Doncaster. A strange aside when I worked at King's Cross there was a driver surnamed Taylor then verging on retirement so now certainly deceased who lived in Peterborough, but travelled daily to London to work, who had an uncanny facial resemblance to my wife's uncle. I just wonder if he was part of the same very large family who mostly left the land for the railway industry in the 19th century?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I've taken so long to reply.  Redroger, as to your aside, I am finding families have so many 'threads' everywhere so it is quite possible he was a connection.  In the last couple of months I have discovered 2 connections within 30 minutes of myself who I knew nothing of. Lovely to find them but it does make me wonder how 'intermingled' families could become.

Now these families of mine.  I am wondering just how intermingled they were :)

Thank you Larkspur, I think that will be Georges burial, Janes husband.
I am slowly putting people into the family groups but can't quite fit Thomas and Martha. There's a census entry for a Thomas and Martha who I think could be the marriage you have found but the age doesn't quite work to be Edward and Elizabeths son Thomas.  Edwards son was baptised 1775 and the census one was born c. 1786 - 1782. Is this too much of a difference?
I also have an Ann Fow, unmarried born c.  1801, living Bawtry and a brother and sister, Edward born c. 1785, Retford and Elizabeth born c. 1801, Ordsall. I am wondering if these ones are children of Edwards (Edward and Elizabeth) brothers. There is definitely a connection as Eliza was visiting the brother and sister in 1851.
I am also wondering if Ann Fow who married Edward Fow was one of these cousins. Was it common for cousins to marry cousins? 
Any help sorting this tangle of Fows gratefully appreciated.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 November 13 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Ordsall baptisms
Parents Simon & Ann Fowe
30-1-1791 Elizabeth
 11-7-1788 Simon
11-7-1786 Mary
9-11-1794 Robert

Sorry cannot find the others.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 November 13 20:36 GMT (UK) »
During the "Rural Age" which preceded the Industrial Revolution families did indeed become very intertwined' very many marriages were outside the bounds of relationship ordained by Canon(church) law; practically they had to be. Though people did indeed travel long distances on occasions there were very many more who never ever left their community of birth. So it was inevitable that these marriages took place; and sensible clergymen (which means most) took a common sense view of the situation and allowed the marriages to take place. I have done much research on my mother's side of the family at Bottisham (Lode) near Cambridge. It is a village that is practically related to itself, through inter marriage over many generations. In my case it has left me as my own 4th cousin; or is it 3rd.Caused by the youngest member in a generation marrying the daughter of his brother 20 years older than himself. She was of his own age group; the marriage was of course quite illegal, but no-one seemed bothered. It was like a large number of marriages there. I remember when I first started research asking my mother the surname of her paternal grandmother; she was then 90+ and replied "Cornwell" the tone in her voice implying that i should have known as it was a law of nature!! As my research developed I understood a lot better, Ayres' (her father's name) had been marrying Cornwells in the village for at least 250 years and possibly a lot longer.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 November 13 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks everyone.  The pieces are coming together  :)

I  have two niggles. The first being Thomas Fow and Martha Undy, I can't quite get them to fit and the second is to find a tie between Simon and Ann and Edward and Elizabeth.  There has to be one but it's not popping up. Never mind, will keep plodding.

Cheers for now, M

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 November 13 05:01 GMT (UK) »
At the beginning of this thread there was Sarah Fisher found on Familysearch, bapt on 19 April 1813.  Trying to find what happened to her.  There is a marriage on FreeReg for a Sarah Fisher to William Booth on 25 Dec 1833 at East Markham, Nottinghamshire.  Would anyone have any further info on this marriage to tie in with my Sarah?

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 November 13 08:43 GMT (UK) »
I don't have anymore information on the marriage I'm afraid, but the 1841 census has Sarah 30, William 30, Charity 5, & Ann 3 living at Kingsey Common. East Markham. All said yes to being born in the county

In 1851 Charity 15 is living with William Fisher 69,Farmer  & Sarah Fisher 66 at Darlton. William gives his birth place as East Markham

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 November 13 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, You have pointed out a huge error I have made wasting hours and hours finding out the descendants of Sarah (Williams wife B 1785)  :'(  And I am not the only one when I look in family trees.

I don't think Sarah Booth is my family  because the William and Sarah Fisher you pointed to aren't the ones mentioned in the beginning of this thread.  But looking at them they are very similar ages and that Sarah comes from Ragnall, Nottinghamshire. My Sarah Fisher is only alive in the 1841 census and therefore no birth place.  I found a marriage for William and Sarah Herring 1803 and the children for my William and Sarah started from 1809 (should have realised they usually start the year after marriage!)
Sarah Herring is from Ragnall as is the Sarah you mentioned.  The chances of two Sarahs from Ragnall marrying two Williams is a bit slim I think.
So now I am back to finding the history of two Sarahs, younger and older.
Carol, do you have any marriages for William and Sarah in  Blyth area about 1808?