Author Topic: FISHER baptisms in the Parish of Everton in Nottingham.  (Read 18226 times)

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FISHER baptisms in the Parish of Everton in Nottingham.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 October 13 14:01 BST (UK) »
I've found a little more information that may relate to your family

William Fisher, yeoman of Scaftworth, Everton was named as Bondsman on the marriage licence of Margaret Fisher & John Sharp who married 24.2. 1810 at Bawtry.  Margaret is a spinster, 21 or over and of the parish of Bawtry in the parish of Blyth.

Margaret was baptised to a George & Mary Fisher 7.6.1786 at Everton
William baptised to George & Mary Fisher 18.8.1775 at Blyth abode Norney

George Fisher married Mary Simpson 6.6. 1771 at Bawtry

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

That sounds very promising, thank you.  I've been looking and looking and can't find much at all ???
Where are you finding your info?  Is there any other William coming up in that area or do you think it would be safe to put them as family.

I have found Mary Robinson and her family from the marriage you found and definitely Ann Fishers sister.  Both born Scaftworth and Marys daughter Sarah Elizabeth stays with Ann when her husband dies.  Have also found confirmation that my Thomas is the family as his wife Ann lives with Ann and Edwin Rooth in 1901. Now Ann Rooth was the Ann Robinson who was with William and Ann (William and Sarahs daughter) in the 1851 Census.  She married Edwin Rooth who was Anns boarder.  Hope you can understand that tangle. 

So definitely the family, but all the other brothers and sisters, George, Sarah, William and John, are being very elusive.  Can you find marriages for any of them?

Still haven't found Anns baptism but she is definitely one of them.

Will wait to see if you can work your magic on any of the others ;)   M

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 12:26 BST (UK) »
Remember always in this "frontier zone" that Bawtry could mean the part of the town that was in the then West Riding of Yorkshire, and now part of Doncaster (the whole settlement since 1974!) Bylth was an is in Norringhamshire. It occurs to me that Doncaster FHS might be able to help. Why not try their website?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

According to the 1851 census (that's if I've got the right one) William gives his birth place as Blyth, Nottingham and is aged 75 which fits with the one baptised at Blyth in 1775 to George & Mary.
He gives his occupation as Land Proprietor so maybe he left a Will.  Have you found his death / burial ?

A little information on the George Fisher marriage

George Fisher, 21 or over, bac of Blyth, Husbandman
Mary Simpson 21 or over, spin of Bowtry, Yorkshire
William Fisher , Husbandman of Blyth was bondsman

A couple of sites worth looking at

http://mss-cat.nottingham.ac.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Roles&dsqCmd=Search.tcl

http://mssweb.nottingham.ac.uk/catalogue/ 

Other information was from the Notts FHS CD

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 October 13 03:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

No I haven't 'worked out' his death/burial yet.  And yes I think you have the correct entry in the 1851 with Landed Proprietor as it has Ann his daughter and Ann Robinson gddaughter whiich ties back in with Ann, Thomas's wife later on.  The 1851 census is the last one I can find him in so death must have been in the 50's. 

Thanks for the sites, will go into them today, haven't had time yet as it's been full on with granddaughters birthday party.

I did try to go into the Nottinham Family History Society website a few days ago but the internet is saying it has Malware and could damage computer so haven't gone any further. 

So will check these out tonight.  Cheers, M

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 October 13 12:55 BST (UK) »
The Notts FHS website seems to be ok today.  I also tried a couple of times over the weekend and got the same message.

Carol
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 13:23 BST (UK) »
Burial Misson
27-12-1853 William Fisher abode Doncaster
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 19:10 BST (UK) »
Burial Misson
27-12-1853 William Fisher abode Doncaster

Makes my point I think. I would imagine that a search for him on the 1851 census would show him working for the Great Northern Railway.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline mineyours+ours

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Larkspur.  A lovely surprise to come back to.  That fits as his last census was 1851 as Landed Proprietor.  Have been doing a bit of digging for Thomas's wife Ann Fow/Fowe and from what I can make out I think her sister Jane might have married George, Williams other son.  I have found baptisms for Ann and Jane with parents Edward and Ann Fow. He is a butcher. I have also found a death notice for an Eliza Fow who died at the residence of her sister (Mrs Jane Fisher, Bawtry), and it said Eliza is the eldest daugher of the late Edward Fow, Bawtry.
I have also found a 1841 census for Jane and George Fisher living with Ann Fow and her daughter Eliza in Bawtry.  George is a surgeon.  His age fits with Williams son. 
They married in 1840 and he's in 1841 cen but she is a widow in 1851. Now, the surgeon bit is very interesting because family say George John, Thomas's son who came to New Zealand, came from a family of doctors.  But I couldn't find any evidence in his brothers apart from one being a chemist. But maybe it was his uncles :) Would love to find out whether William and John were also doctors, but haven't managed to find them yet.  The pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together!
Apparently George John had also had some medical training, a fact I was dismissing until just recently.  Thomas and family incl. George John lived at Bentley with Arksey.  Does anyone know where medical training would have been done in that area?

Redroger, thanks for the insight into the area.  I have to keep coming back to it as it is so confusing with the entries for Blyth, Bawtry and now Ordsall has come into it with the Fow's.
There seem to be two families, Edward and Elizabeth Fow from Bawtry(butcher).  I think their son is John and Lydia (butcher also) who lives Bawtry and also a son Edward and Ann (butcher also) lives Bawtry (Ann's parents).
There is another family, John and Mary Fowe, who live Thrumpton, Ordsall (Farmer).  I'm not sure if this family is connected to the other.  There are a couple of entries such as burials for the first lot which have the place as Ordsall and not Bawtry but they fit for the first family.  Is this just a case of confused boundaries? Or do I have them incorrect?  Very, very confusing.
And on that note sleep is needed.  So cheers for now, M.