Author Topic: St Cuthbert's Church, Aldingham  (Read 5095 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: St Cuthbert's Church, Aldingham
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 12:42 BST (UK) »
Have you considered that your ancestors may have been Quakers, and not used the CofE ?

Furness was a great centre of Quakerism - George Fox's wife, Margaret Fell, lived at Swarthmoor Hall.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
Nearby Urswick has a few Wanes,I have the early baptism registers for Urswick
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
Andrew I have lots of ancestors in the Yorkshire area who were Quakers, including my 5 x g.grandfather Joseph Gaunt who married Sarah Firth who was the g.granddaughter of John Firth born 1597 in Leak Hall.  Apparently, John Firth stood guard over George Fox when he was incarcerated in Nottingham Castle in the early 1640s.  However, John Firth is said to have deserted his post at Nottingham Castle in 1642 and brought what he learned of George Fox's philosophy back with him and the Quaker movement took hold in the Denby area of Yorkshire.

As I've not been on here for some months, I've lost the thread of this topic so will re-read and hope it makes sense.