Author Topic: St Cuthbert's Church, Aldingham  (Read 5089 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: St Cuthbert's Church, Aldingham
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 October 13 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Left a link to Aldingham registers

~ the baptism left for William Wane 1690 that has been given~abode Beacliff appears to be wrong, baptisms in this register give the children of William Wane (Dorothy 1694, William 1690, Thomas 1687 and Jane 1693 give abode of Sunbreak.

http://archive.org/stream/lancashireparis14socigoog#page/n78/mode/2up

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 October 13 15:35 BST (UK) »
Working backwards from ancestors I am 100% sure of:

William Benson (3 x g.grandfather, born 1782 Scales, Ulverston, baptised Aldingham) his father was William Benson (4 x g.grandfather, born 1752, Scales, baptised Aldingham).  His parents were William Benson (my 5 x g.grandfather - no date of birth but I've got a note he was born in Baycliff, Ulverston), he married Margaret Wane.  When they married in 1749 at Aldingham, he was a Mariner of Ulverston and she was of Colt Park in the parish of Aldingham.  Following my 5 x g.grandfather's death in 1752 only a few months after the birth of twin boys, Margaret re-married but not until 1765. I can't get any further back with the Bensons, there are just too many of them around Ulverston/Dalton in Furness and I have another branch of Bensons that came from Holme Cultram.

So I thought I'd try to find Margaret Wane's parents.  I found a Margaret Wane of Roosebeck (don't know how far that is from Colt Park where she lived the time of her marriage) baptised 3 March 1723 at Aldingham , parents William Wade and Deborah (probably my 6 x g.grandparents).  I found a marriage and it seems William Wade, a mariner, married a Deborah Fleming at Aldingham.  She was from Newbiggin, but baptised Aldingham, William's abode at baptism was shown as Beacliff, and his father was William.  The couple I found who both died in 1727 who I was hoping were his parents were living in Roosebeck at the time of their deaths.

You mention the name Dorothy.  Well William Wane (6 x g.grandfather) and his wife Deborah had a daughter called Dorothy and I've also found a Dorothy amongst children born to a William Wane (the one for whom I don't have a date of birth) in 1695, but whether that is a sister of William Wane  (6 x g.grandfather born in 1690) I have no idea.  If she is, then she is my 6 x g.grandfather's sister and there were another 3 siblings.

Thank you for the information from Lancat - I keep forgetting about that site.  I've put it into my favourites now.

Lizzie

ps.  Claire - thank you for the information about William Wade's baptism in 1690.  That means the 4 other baptisms I found are probably his siblings. It looks as though the place of abode of the baby above him in the register was wrongly allocated to William.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 October 13 15:40 BST (UK) »
Radcliff - Sorry should have said, I assume my Wanes were the ones baptised at Aldingham as they were the ones who married into the Bensons.  William Benson my 5 x g.grandfather who married Margaret Wane was also buried at St Cuthbert's in 1752. 

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 October 13 16:09 BST (UK) »
The other thing is that I can't find a marriage for William Wane and Ann (the couple who died in 1733).  I can only find a marriage of a Thomas Wane and an Ann Kendall (of Urswick) in 1675, but I can't find any children of that marriage.  The first child of William Wane was called Thomas, so either that was his father's name, or he just liked the name, or Thomas Wane who married Ann died and William stepped into his brother's shoes, or William was Thomas.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 October 13 21:56 BST (UK) »
 ;D
The distance between all of these churches is minimal,so you need to work around the Furness Deanery, Dalton,Gleaston,Urswick,Aldingham,Biggar Village ,even Ulverston,
From Ulverston along the modern coast Road,Bardsea,Aldingham,Scales up the hill of the main Road, Baycliffe,Roosebeck Rampside,
Birkrigg stretches from this side of Urswick over to the coast Road,Crown lands and farms along to Roosebeck,

I had already picked up on your Benson Wane marriage/connection,not so difficult,but as you say you want to go further back,that is why I suggested the wills,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 October 13 22:21 BST (UK) »
Deborah Fleming,
I cant remember where I got her from,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 October 13 00:40 BST (UK) »
I found Deborah, because the children of William Wane (the one baptised 1690) were all shown on the records as having a mother called Deborah, so I searched for a marriage and found one of a William Wane and a Deborah Fleming on 11 August 1718 at St Cuthbert's.  I haven't tried to trace Deborah's family although I did find she was born in Newbiggin and baptised at St Cuthbert's in 1692.

I had a quick look on Lancat, but couldn't find anything that matched the dates.  I'm assuming the dates are the date of probate, rather than the date the wills were made.  One of my sons turned up and wanted me to check some things out on the internet for him, so I gave up on looking.  I'll have a good look at Lancat tomorrow to see what I can find out.

Thanks for the info on the geography of the area.  I need a trip up there if I'm going to work my way round all the villages and churches.  We were thinking of coming over this autumn, but that didn't materialise, so maybe next Spring or Autumn.

Offline arcwest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 June 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a Deborah Benson dau of William ch St Nicholas ,Liverpool 7/5/1750 ,born 21/4/1750 possibly married Henry Fisher ,K Ireleth 1771 and  had a daughter Deborah married to William Rawcliff (of Aldingham)
Your Margaret Wane married Wm. Benson ,Mariner 2/7/1749 Aldingham ( Margaret of Aldingham and William of Ulverston at time of marriage  Was this the same family and Deborah born before the twins
Was your William Benson christened Lowick
Margaret Wane ch Aldingham 1722 and 23 Father William and Mother Deborah Did the first one die

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 August 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry not been on here for some time so just catching up. 

I don't know where William Benson was christened, I know he was born near Ulverston and he is buried in Aldingham and that his wife Margaret Wane was born and baptised in Aldingham.

I only have the twins William and Jonathan, I haven't searched for any other children, I guess it's possible there was a sister Deborah named after Margaret's mother.

I don't think there were two Margaret Wane's.  The christening dates of 1722/23 are the same date, it was the way the calendar worked then so 3 March would be either 1722 or 1723 depending which calendar you use.  The year used to begin in April, so technically March would have been 1722, but lots of people transcribing start the year January as we do now and therefore March would be 1723, but to show what has happened they use both dates so 1722/23.  Does that make sense, I'm sure other people can explain it more easily.