Author Topic: My mysterious grandfather - Ernest McQuillan Hargraves  (Read 31448 times)

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: My mysterious grandfather - Ernest McQuillan Hargraves
« Reply #126 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 00:54 BST (UK) »
That's a good way to do it, thanks, but I need to show three changes - first name, second name and the s on the end of his surname. I guess I could show him as "Edward John Hargrave (Ernest McQuillan Hargraves)" but I don't think Ancestry could cope with that.

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 04:21 BST (UK) »
You could put the second name in as a comment on his birth; or use the "also known as" fact on the Ancestry timeline.

Edited to add - I just tried the above "fact" - it's not very useful. Perhaps use a custom fact - call it "change of name" - you can put in a date, and place where this happened.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 04:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks John, I think the alternative name plus the custom fact is the way to go.

I've seen other advice on the web to use the birth name as the basis, but after some thought I have decided to use the name he was known by in later generations, who after all are the only ones going to search for him. I can't imaging many people searching for him under his birth name.

Thanks for your ideas.

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric,
Well, how about that! So happy for you that this family mystery has now been resolved....to think he was sitting there under our noses that whole time! I wonder why he changed his name, I guess just one of those mysteries you'll never know the answer to. As far as what to call him, if it were me, I'd call him Edward, the name he was given, known as Ernest.
It's been fun sharing this journey with you...such a happy outcome AND you did get to connect with your Aunt.
All the best,
Deb

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 06:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's been both frustrating AND fun. Thanks for all your encouragement. I really treasure getting to know my aunt, and without her telling me the birthday, and without my recent Ancestry DNA test, I never would have got here.

My guess is that the family had some rift - either to cause him to move away, or as a result. Certainly they all lost contact, and when Francis' assets were finally settled 32 years after he died, Ernest/Edward was not even mentioned, even though he should have been included.

That gives me an idea ..... I could claim ..... my share of that disbursement would have been ..... five eighths of diddly squat! :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
A great outcome, and a great tribute to the quality of the research, for without a keen eye to the fine details needed to resolve this apparent dilemma, it would still be a dilemma.   

Well Done,

five-eighths of diddly squat is better than eleventy-secondth place in the queue to the diddly squat's squat.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks.