Author Topic: My mysterious grandfather - Ernest McQuillan Hargraves  (Read 31470 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: My mysterious grandfather - Ernest McQuillan Hargraves
« Reply #108 on: Monday 02 December 13 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric,
  wonderful news that you have found another new relative  :)

I am fairly certain that you can send HAT1989 a personal message with your e-mail address.  He won't be able to reply by PM until he has made another couple of posts (but he can reply by e-mail).  Wellll it has worked for me. :D

cheers,
  Ros
(welcome to rootschat HAT1989  :) :) )

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Deborah G

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Monday 02 December 13 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric,
Such good fortune for you that Harry googled his name! :) He sounds like a lovely young man and a rugby player to boot :D
So happy for you that Harry has made contact, you'll have to buy more Christmas cards this year :)

Deb :) :)

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Monday 02 December 13 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I am fairly certain that you can send HAT1989 a personal message with your e-mail address.  He won't be able to reply by PM until he has made another couple of posts (but he can reply by e-mail).
Thanks, hopefully that will work. But if we work out any more genealogy info, I'll certainly let people here know.

He sounds like a lovely young man and a rugby player to boot :D
Poor Rugby players - they get caught in the bottom of rucks and mauls, and they become somebody to boot!!  ;D But thanks for your thoughts.

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Monday 05 January 15 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, I'm returning to this topic with a small request please. This is a photo of my grandfather, taken in the early to middle part of the 20th century at Jenolan Caves weir in NSW.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows enough about clothing fashions to guesstimate the approximate year the photo was taken, and whether we can say anything about the social position of either person by their clothing.

It's a long shot, but you never know! Thanks.

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Monday 05 January 15 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Eric,
May I suggest that you post the photo on the Photography board?
There are many RootsChatters who post there who should be able to help you with your request.

Dee     :)
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Monday 05 January 15 09:54 GMT (UK) »
OK thanks, I will.

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
My mysterious grandfather - Ernest McQuillan Hargraves - the saga continues
« Reply #114 on: Saturday 23 September 17 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Several years ago I asked for help in searching for the ancestry of my grandfather, and received a lot of help here (thanks). I made some progress at that time, but was still a long way from an answer. I now have some useful information from DNA, and I thought I'd ask for any ideas on where to go from here please.

In summary, my grandfather Ernest McQuillan Hargraves said he was born in England and his parents were Francis Hargraves (a weaver) and Mary McQuillan. Birth date was uncertain, but probably around 1879. Extensive searching didn't find any record of his birth under that name, nor of any coupe of those names, in UK. The only couple of those names was located in Victoria, Australia, not England (they migrated from Ireland), and Francis was a policeman. This seemed promising, but I was forced to reject them as his parents because:
  • They had the births of 9 children recorded, but none of them was Ernest, or could have been him under a different name (their subsequent lives could be traced).
  • Their 9 children were born regularly 2-3 years apart, and while another pregnancy could be fitted in to a 2-3 year gap, it was doubtful.
  • When Francis died in 1902, and Mary in 1909, their documentation included the same 9 children, but not Ernest. I could find no mention in any will or probate.
  • If he was a regular, but undocumented, child, he had no reason to change some of the details of his parentage and birth.
I therefore surmised that he was born, perhaps in some unfortunate circumstances, and may have been informally adopted by Francis and Mary.

I now have DNA results from myself and two other descendants of Ernest, plus a descendant of Francis & Mary, and a descendant of one of Mary's sisters. These point strongly to Francis & Mary being his parents, and my analysis suggests that one of the following possibilities is the case:

1. Ernest was indeed descended from Francis and Mary, and there is some explanation for the four points above.

2. He was descended from siblings of both Francis and Mary, for example Francis or his brother with one of Mary's sisters. Descent from just one of Francis or Mary or siblings is insufficient to explain the DNA.

3. The DNA results are an anomaly, outside the range given by Blaine Bettinger's DNA studies, and Ernest was a child of one of Mary's siblings.

I conclude that despite the doubts, option 1 is the most likely, and thus Francis and Mary are his parents. But this leaves me with no explanation for the four contrary facts, and, more importantly, no way I can see to investigate further other than wait and hope another DNA result comes in and offers some insight.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Saturday 23 September 17 04:57 BST (UK) »
Is it not also possible that he was the winning one of mary.s elder daughters

To prove that you would have to find DNA 4-5yth generation that matched yourgeneration

Then find a tree where it says you are a match but doesn't Match any other you may have found the birth fathers family .
I explain it better with pictures
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Saturday 23 September 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Brigidmac,

Thanks for offering your ideas, but can you explain a little more what you mean by this please: "Is it not also possible that he was the winning one of mary.s elder daughters "?

Thanks.