Author Topic: Newcastle Gaol  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newcastle Gaol
« on: Sunday 13 October 13 08:19 BST (UK) »
William TENCH was declared bankrupt in May 1847 by Newcastle Court of bankruptcy.  He became an insolvent debtor again in Feb 1857 and ended up in Newcastle Gaol as a prisoner for debt.  I believe his crime was described as "larceny".  Can anyone suggest where I might search to find the records of Newcastle Gaol, please?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Gaol
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 October 13 08:39 BST (UK) »
Insolvent debtors and bankrupts are different. Bankrupts were supposed to be traders, making their living by buying and selling. Insolvent debtors were individuals unable to pay their debts. Insolvent debtors could be kept indefinitely in a debtors' prison if their creditors so wished. Imprisonment for debt only ended in 1869. Larcency was a criminal offence, unlike debt, which is a civil offence.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/bankrupts-insolvent-1710-1869.htm
A William Tench was found guilty of Obtaining money under false pretences, sentenced to 6 months Newcastle upon Tyne 11th Oct. 1858. England & Wales, Criminal Registers.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 October 13 11:27 BST (UK) »

A William Tench was found guilty of Obtaining money under false pretences, sentenced to 6 months Newcastle upon Tyne 11th Oct. 1858. England & Wales, Criminal Registers.

Stan

and that case was reported in the Newcastle Journal on 16th October 1858, which may help you to decide if its 'your' William Tench.

Geo Leadbitter and Wm Tench were charged with having, by false pretences, obtained the sum of 1s 6d from Mrs Dorothy Burns. Mr Lewers appeared for the prosecution; Mr Scaife defended Leadbitter and Mr Harle defended Tench. The prosecutor is a publican, and on the 27th September was indebted to Mr Job Swan for flour supplied to him. Mr Swan took proceedings in the County Court, which had not, however, proceeded to a judgement, Leadbitter and Tench called on Burns and saw his wife, whom they asked for her husband. She said he was not at home, but would be in the evening. Leadbitter then said he had brought an execution on Mr Burn's goods for Mr Swan's debt. She said : What! for 3s 1d. He said yes. Leadbitter then left the house leaving Tench behind, who received 3s 1d and gave a receipt for it. While writing it out Leadbitter came in and asked Tench if he had got the expenses, to which Tench said he had not. Mrs Burns then gave them 1s 6d more, under the impression that they were bailiffs of the County Court, and was glad to be rid of them. Mr John Spearman, principal clerk of the County Court, said Tench was an officer of the court six months ago, but he was not so now. The jury returned a verdict of guilty. The Recorder sentenced them to six months imprisonment.

Boo

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 08:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Stan, for simplifying my problems :).  I'm learning all the time.  The National Archives page was very helpful.

Boo-thanks for the description of the trial from the "Newcastle Journal" :).  It is definitely my William TENCH-I don't know what possessed him!  Can I find the original newspaper page at Newcastle Central Library?
Mr. Tibbs

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 09:36 BST (UK) »
Mr John Spearman, principal clerk of the County Court, said Tench was an officer of the court six months ago, but he was not so now.
According to the report in the Newcastle Courant Friday 15 October 1858, Tench had been a Bailiff.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 08:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Stan.  What a sad event.  William's wife and family moved to Newcastle, maybe to be near William, a prisoner and they remained there.  William became a timekeeper ...
Pat