Author Topic: Royal Engineers - 1922 - Peking - Mudken Railway  (Read 5241 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Engineers - 1922 - Peking - Mudken Railway
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 05:57 BST (UK) »
I've just downloaded his military records from both FindMyPast and Ancestry (I've searched on many occasions before and always drawn a blank  ::) ).  In his service record there is a letter William wrote to the Commander in Chief of the Royal Engineers asking if there was any vacancies.  The letter was received by the military on 4 May......my birthday.   :)

What a day this has turned out to be.  When you least expect things!!!  :o :o

Gosh I love Rootschatters!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 05:59 BST (UK) »
have a google regarding the Egyptian expedtionary force under General Allenby,,,,you will get an idea of what William was getting himself into...  Lawrence of Arabia and all that...lol.  ;)

:o :o :o No way!   

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 06:18 BST (UK) »
This is all we can find about his death.  He actually had three children, his eldest was still in the UK.

Caz

Offline PDoddie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline, we are related to William he's my Great Grandfather via Naomi, it's amazing to find more relatives and my uncle has traced the family tree, but you're bringing up info that we weren't sure if, we knew William worked on the railways and was murdered out there and Naomi aged 16 brought here grieving Mother (Annie) & Harry home .
How are you related to William?

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 08:40 BST (UK) »
Good grief...how do you know he was murdered?

I'm connected through Annie Wilkinson.  She was the daughter of my Great, Great Uncle Richard Wilkinson.  Brian Wilkinson who you responded to on the other thread is more closely connected to you (he is my third cousin).  His Great Grandparents were Richard Wilkinson and Mary Harris parents of Annie that married Henry Foster.  Brian's grandfather was William Wilkinson, brother to Annie.  This makes Naomi his  first cousin, once removed.

Don't suppose you have any photos at all?  We think we have a family photo of the Fosters and would love to confirm whether it is them or not.

Caz

Offline PDoddie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 08:57 BST (UK) »
We recognise the photo you posted, we can see Ada and Naomi.
Naomi always said that she remembers looking out though the window see two men in suits approaching the door and she knew there was bad news, they'd come to say that he/William had been killed/murdered on the railway!
I'll look for photos, we weren't aware of Egypt or India, but Gran (Naomi) never really said much about her Dad, that's probably why if he was away a huge amount! We have passenger lists for Canadian Pacific and French Pacific with their names on!

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 09:08 BST (UK) »
Here's a crude drawing of where Brian fits in.   My line is through John Willkinson, Richard's brother.

I'll private message you with my email address!  So excited!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Caroline

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 10:26 BST (UK) »
I've sent you a private message with my email address!   :) :)

Caroline