Author Topic: Paternal Ancestor Name  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: Paternal Ancestor Name
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 October 13 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz, looking at your posted example, how can those early male ancestors be verified?

Sorry, I only got a notification today for some reason that you had posted!  Meanwhile everyone else seems to have come to your rescue.

I know that the ancestor posted as my Uncle's earliest known ancestor on the paternal line is correct* - I have spent a long time going through records at the relevant RO- not just BMD - and also have quite a bit which has been handed down through the family. 

When it comes to the earliest known ancestors of men that match my Uncle I would always check them out myself to be sure of how we fitted into their tree.  Hopefully, if the man is a perfect match I might recognise the name, but I have an interesting situation where my Uncle actually matches a completely different surname - most likely a non-paternal event somewhere - DNA testing is never easy but it is certainly - in my opinion - lots of fun and full of surprises every so often!  :o

Liz

*It is of course possible that the male line was broken by illegitimacy and this would not necessarily, show up in records but in fact I have now come fairly close to pin-pointing the NPE which led to my Uncle having DNA which matches a complete different surname.
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 October 13 06:12 BST (UK) »
Ps... The Roche family name is quite large in Ireland, so may not necessarily match.

What about Wales? http://rochelineages.wordpress.com/background/brief-history/

Online jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 October 13 07:28 BST (UK) »
Yes I agree, Supermoussi, the name Roche did originate from there quite early on so there is likely to be a few possible matches.   But from my own recent learning curve, not with the Roche name though, I found it takes a while to get your head around the possibilities that the dna results may or may not throw up. Even just trying to understand how the project administrators enter the resulting data and what it all means can be confusing.
I haven't looked at the Roche name project but I can imagine its much larger than the one that I am interested in.  To be honest, the best approach is to see how your results match up with a known and verified "cousin" and how your paper trails link up hopefully to the same ancestor. Then, you can start having fun and explore further possibilities.  But as mentioned on other threads, don't expect too many matches with people from the UK and Ireland as the take up isn't  that great.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 October 13 12:42 BST (UK) »
I haven't looked at the Roche name project but I can imagine its much larger than the one that I am interested in.

Not that big though. Just taking a quick look at it it has an interesting large Haplogroup E family at the top of it's results section:-

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Roache/default.aspx?section=yresults
http://www.genebase.com/learning/article/2

I don't know much about E other than it is one of the groups associated mostly with Africa plus a scattering of early European Stone Age immigrants who have been since overrun by Haplogroup R, so the Roach E group is quite interesting.

The project then has a NE.European/Scandic I2b family and five families of the dominant British R1b Haplogroup. It also has 25 results that are ungrouped, i.e. they have not had any matches yet.

The "William Roche b1820 and d 1890" result is in the unmatched section so is still waiting to find other members of its family.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 October 13 02:55 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me how to see if a possible ancestor 'previous' to the earliest 'confirmed' known can be found via DNA.

I have records of same family from mid 1200's up to mid 1700's when we have the last 'confirmed' and first of what is my line via all male decendants.

From the mid 1200's the same family lived in the immediate vicinity of my line one of whom inherited the family farm.

Church records seem to point to a continuous line, but confirmation is difficult as to who is who as many of the lines 'cousins/second cousins' in the same church had same Christian names for many generations.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads