Author Topic: how can I find a relative who seems to have disappeared ...  (Read 2543 times)

Offline howengold

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
how can I find a relative who seems to have disappeared ...
« on: Monday 14 October 13 20:52 BST (UK) »
Basically I have been tracing my husbands family tree for a few years, I had done mine as far back as the 1700's on both sides but I thought I would grant his fathers dying wish and find their family history. 

I had very little to go by as I started just before he died and we found it hard to get information out of him as he knew the information but chose to keep it to himself even though he asked me to find his brothers and niece.

We before he died I got his mother and fathers wedding certificate and we managed to find his birth certificate (he never told us his year of birth so it was all my digging that came to fruition).

I have had brief contact with his niece who confirmed my husbands granddad had died before my father-in-law was born and she lived with my father-in-law, his mum and brother with her own parents.

The trouble is I can't find any records of his dads death anywhere.  I have tried just his surname and both first names that we have on official documents but nothing comes up.

So I am looking for Alfred or Arthur Caddick (Arthur on his marriage certificate and Afred on my father-in-laws birth certificate and his wifes death certificate).

Here is the information I have

Arthur/Alfred Caddick born Staffordshire in 1893, married to Doris Hammersley in 1921, he died before the birth of his son John Charles Caddick in 1937 but no info on his death available. He had at least three children, John, Thomas and Doris E (who later married and became Doris E Smith and her daughter has the same name).  His profession was wheelwright and at the time of his marriage they lived in Bilston near Wolverhampton.

Where can I go from here?  And out of interest how do I find out about Doris Hammersley buried/cremation? apparently they had some money so I imagine they could afford a burial at the time.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: how can I find a relative who seems to have disappeared ...
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 October 13 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi. Welcome to Rootschat

I wonder if he didn't die before his son's birth, but left his wife? This death fits age wise and place

CADDICK, Arthur B
Wolverhampton  Staffordshire
1952 Apr-May-Jun
Age at death 59   (therefore born 1893)
Volume no: 9B Page no: 821
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 October 13 21:30 BST (UK) »
Arthur B would be Arthur Bernard. This man's army pension records are on Ancestry - b 1893, a toolsetter and son of John & Mary Ann of Bilston. He suffered from a very bad stammer so as to make him almost unintelligible and not suitable for the army. He signed up in August 1914 and was discharged in June 1915.

I wonder if this tallies with any family history?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 October 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
There is another death that also fits his age

Arthur Caddick
Birth Date:   23 Jul 1893
Dec 1970
Age at Death:   77
Wolverhampton Staffordshire
Volume:   9b  Page:   2107

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 October 13 21:41 BST (UK) »
If he died before your father in law was born, there is a very short time in which the death could have taken place ie 1936 0r 1937. There are only two deaths of an Alfred then, but one is too young and the other far too old. There are no Arthurs.

Offline howengold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 October 13 21:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I have wondered this but my husband doesn't think the same.  I will have a look at these peoples records and see what I can find.  Thanks x

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 October 13 21:50 BST (UK) »
Do you have the 1921 marriage certificate ?

The name of the groom's father would help to find Albert/Arthur on earlier census.

There are at least 4 Albert/Arthur births in 1893 in the right area.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 00:27 BST (UK) »
There is an online tree which shows him as Alfred, son of Thomas and Elizabeth - birth entry would appear to be this one: Alfred Caddick   Sept.qtr.1891 Wolverhampton.

(There appears to be a 4th child - Alfred birth Sept.qtr.1927 Wolverhampton mmn Hammersley)

Now, if the online tree is correct and he was Alfred b.1891 this could be his death:

Alfred bc.1891, d.Dec.qtr.1963 Rother Valley, Yorkshire West Riding

There is no Alfred born in Yorkshire around this time so the 1963 Alfred did not originate from there and could therefore be your man.

As suggested earlier, with no death entry around the 1936/1937 period, would think he probably deserted his family.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk