Author Topic: leech family  (Read 6819 times)

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
leech family
« on: Wednesday 16 October 13 07:24 BST (UK) »
looking for any information on john leech and his family,i have found them on the 1901 census in limerick.i have found sarah and maud in arklow in 1911 census,and william in limerick,in 1901 there was john,father 55,sarah wife 50,william ironmonger 25,john sailor 22,sarah housekeeper 18,dora 15,george 12,martha 10,maud 6,any information on these people most welcome.thank you in advance,tom

Offline Marymazlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: leech family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 May 15 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Tom. Many thanks for you reply. I hope you will receive this as I am unable to reply directly from the mail received this morning. So found this way. Jasper, my father had a bother George who lived in Leicester although I had never met him or his family. Beatrice ( Aunt Beatie) lived in Enfield, London and we use to exchanged letters. She had a two sons. One named Douglas and the other I don't have a name. Jaspers other sister was called Evelyn. She has a daughter named Ruth who is my cousin. I went to visit her once with my father and my brother Mike. Ruth had many photos of the Leech family from way back. I shall try and contact her again. Jasper travelled from Ireland I believe at 18 years old and joined The Leicester regiment and later the Black Watch. My mother Irene was from Chesterfield. Father was 48 years old when he started a family. I am the eldest and I have two brothers Mike and Matthew. It may be that you grandfather would have been around the same age as Jasper.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Mary

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 May 15 18:59 BST (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 May 15 19:11 BST (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 15 20:52 BST (UK) »

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 May 15 22:17 BST (UK) »
thanks dathai for your help ,tom

Offline JPy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 October 18 12:55 BST (UK) »
We have been researching John Leech, Master Mariner as he was my husband's great grandfather.  My husband's grandfather was one of John's sons George Leech.  John married Sarah Price in 1870 at St Marks Dublin. John died aboard ship in 1907 in Cardiff.  The inquest recorded a heart attack.  George's brother Charles was also a Master Mariner.  Charles died on March 18th 1932.  We have the funeral announcement which gives family names and that the mourners left from 66 Hauteville, Guernsey.  John and Charles sailed together on some ships, out of Limerick, Arklow etc.  John's last one being the Geraldine.  George Leech was born in Meadows Lane, Arklow in 1888 where some sea captains lived.  George is where our information goes cold.  He ended up in South Africa where my husbands mother Beatrice was born in 1921.  But we have no info on George, or his wife.  If anyone has any info on George would love to hear it.  The records in South Africa are difficult to obtain.  Unfortunately Beatrice died some years ago so we have nothing to go by. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 October 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

George Leech was born in 1888 and his birth registration is online- LINK

By around 1891 it looks like the family moved to Limerick-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Limerick/Limerick_Urban_No__2/Castleview_Avenue/1497882

I didn't find George Leech in 1911 census or a marriage for him so could he have left Ireland in early 1900s?

The name Beatrice for George's daughter is intriguing as William Leech's birthplace is listed as Arklow and his wife's name was also Beatrice-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Limerick/Limerick_No__4_Urban/Crescent_Avenue/630647
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!