Author Topic: Elm Villa, Swindon, Wiltshire  (Read 9473 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Elm Villa, Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 October 13 10:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Youngtug. I am familiar with the Swindon Flickr site and find it most interesting. Pity other places cannot do such a good job. Toby.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 October 13 12:59 BST (UK) »
The different views do place Elm villa more accurately, not actually in Wellington street but seems to be a stand alone. I cannot remember it, although I can remember one side of Wellington street still standing, facing the "temporary" bus station. I suppose it's under the new bus station and the office block, now.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 January 14 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Today I see in "Swindon in the Past Lane" dated 11 August 2012
"Elm Villa, a former inn." Can anyone add to this? Toby.

Offline bucket66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 February 14 23:26 GMT (UK) »
If it's any help, here is an 1886 redrawn map of Elm Villa on Google aerial image, Elm Villa is to the right of the white bus - the whole area is due for redevelopment in the coming years.
Records suggest that Elm Villa was probably built by the Wilts and Berks Canal around 1814 - it's questionable if it was ever used as a pub although in 'Home Brewed' a book about Swindon pubs by David Backhouse, it is called the Engineers Arms, but it names Rowdens Brewery as the builders of it in 1841.
Samuel Carlton, GWR Loco Works Manager at Swindon lived at Elm Villa for a number of years.
http://broadgreenhistory.btck.co.uk/Notablepeople/SamuelCarlton

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 16:07 GMT (UK) »
That's most useful, bucket66. It would be nice if you could add your comments to :-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/sets/72157633393363416/with/8697538993/

where a photo of Elm Villa is to be seen.
Many thanks, Toby.

Offline bucket66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Happy to share info. Swindon Library's Flickr site is a great place to view Swindon of old.

:-[ Might have to back track a bit on the pub idea, I’ve had another look at the info I have – in the 1851 census, the property recorded before the Whale Beer House is identified as ‘One House Uninhabited’ below is written ‘Engineer Arms Inn’ – so it could have been a pub at one time. It appears to be known as Spur Lodge in the 1861 census.

An advert in a June 1873 Swindon Adver is for the freehold sale of what was described as –  ‘a substantial stone-built dwelling house with convenient offices, and a valuable piece of land, used as a garden, attached containing about an acre. The dwelling house contains – dining and sitting room, 6 bedrooms, kitchen, large brewhouse, cellars and all other suitable offices and is now in the occupation of Samuel Carlton Esq’.
A month later a short report on property sales in the Adver, indicates that the auction reserve was not met on a dwelling house and piece of garden land, known as Elm Villa, in the occupation of Mr S. Carlton.

Swindon Council purchased Elm Villa c1959, I don’t know when it was demolished, but by the mid/late 1960’s a postal sorting office had been built on the site – it’s possible that the foundations of the old house are still buried beneath the now cleared site.

Kevin.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 October 14 22:11 BST (UK) »
By chance I came across the following in North Wilts Directory 1917:-
Commercial Hotel, Elm Villa, Wellington Street run by a Mrs. Foss.
It would be interesting to see what the years before & after show. T

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 May 15 12:53 BST (UK) »
 Obtained from another link is an interesting site.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDIQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Farts%2Fyourpaintings%2Fpaintings%2Fthe-red-cow-cow-lane-swindon-wiltshire-a-bit-of-swindon-of65067&ei=fkJLVeeCMuyz7gaE_YFg&usg=AFQjCNGHdTAZjBEg1cqKjbjsjcHmw-59hQ&sig2=x6D92nAynMXYWSo0lQvr2w&bvm=bv.92765956,d.ZGU&cad=rja.

This gives Red Cow Inn but on the same site is a painting of Whale Bridge. Clearly seen, I believe, is Elm Villa judging by windows, roof & chimneys. Standing alone, this must be a view before 1885 for that O.S. map shows some streets. T.