Author Topic: G.W.SMITH: Explosive Labourer, Waltham Cross, 1911  (Read 6375 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: G.W.SMITH: Explosive Labourer, Waltham Cross, 1911
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 October 13 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

I was actually trying to encourage Keith to finish his own query.  ;D

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 October 13 23:03 BST (UK) »
Ray and Jan,
I hope I'm not being accused of being a lazy researcher!  But my head is ringing after reading all the way through that long, long Wikipedia entry on gunpowder; and it's all very interesting nonetheless. 
It's also strange how things are sometimes linked together, for I came across the name of a Lt-Colonel C.T.MOODY, who was appointed inspector of Gunpowder in 1840.
Some while ago I was researching his family on a thread on here (for a neighbour of mine about 10 doors away).  If my memory serves me correctly, he was the first British Governor of the Falkland Islands, though I may have got the wrong member of the MOODY clan, who were mainly military men, or men of the cloth - not to mention some remarkable women of that name.
I digress, of course, this has been a fascinating little thread so far...
keith
P.S. Just looked this up, and it was a brother, Richard MOODY, who was the Falklands man. 

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 October 13 11:25 BST (UK) »
'Morning Keith,

Lazy researcher? Don't think so.
I hope that you haven't really taken it like that.

I just couldn't see the point of me searching(/copying/pasting/editting) for something using tools that you are already greatly experienced at.

;D grovel  ;D grovel  ;D grovel  ;D

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 October 13 13:02 BST (UK) »
Ray,
I'd hoped that the exclamation mark at the end of that sentence would have given the lie to me being in the slightest way put out.  Maybe I should start using the smiley faces for clarity!
Grovel not, please!
The way that Rootschatters plough into a topic that one starts is simply amazing, and never ceases to make me feel humble and grateful in the extreme.
And thanks to you and Jan and Suey and Dawn I'm a little bit more informed about the world, and the perils of gunpowder - very appropriate with November 5th fast approaching - and Rootschat is a blast, too... ;D
keith

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
It wasn't only when I went to the Waltham Abbey Royal Gunpowder Mills that I finally understood what all those funny little symbols with a rectangle surrounded by embankment hatchures in the woods at Yardley Chase (opposite Castle Ashby in Northamptonshire) are.

They are the same as the facilities in the woods at Waltham Abbey, used in the manufacture of Nitro-glycerine.

I heartily recommend a day spent at the RGM - it is really very interesting, and amazing what you can learn.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright