Author Topic: stewart family  (Read 5804 times)

Offline stewarty9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
stewart family
« on: Saturday 19 October 13 23:37 BST (UK) »
hi all. I have just realised my family came from stoneyburn, well my dad any way. how old he was when they moved through to loanhead Midlothian is unknown.

there was 3 boys
Robert stewart
james stewart
douglas stewart  born 1943.

would love to no where they lived unfortunately they have now all passed away my uncle bob being this week which has lead me to realise I no nothing of my family tree and would so dearly love to have it in place for my daughters to look at.

any help would be appreciated

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: stewart family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 October 13 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewarty9,

It is not going to be easy, as they are so recent, i.e. Douglas Stewart born 1943. I know you said that they are all deceased but to search for them, may lead to naming living relatives which is against RootsChat rules, so will have to be careful.

Records online are limited for that age group, births in Scotland Peoples website is limited to 100 years, so to get details from these births will need a visit to GRO at Register House in Edinburgh. I take it they were miners moving to different coal mines. I had Stewarts in Blackridge, West Lothian, who would have worked Polkemmet and other West Lothian collieries.

As I said could be difficult, are there any widows of these brothers who could maybe know when they moved to Loanhead. Not sure if Midlothian Council records could maybe advise when tenants moved in. There are Family History societies in both areas, would suggest contacting them for assistance.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline stewarty9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 October 13 21:37 BST (UK) »
hi iv discovered that they stayed at gardener terrace stoneyburn also found the grave of my dads. da mum and sister. think im going to find out more about register house. strange middlename though henry mcillwrait stewart. 

if I do break any rules on this site I am sorry please let me no.

regards
stewarty

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 October 13 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi stewarty,

Well, I have found a birth certificate on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk website, in 1895 at Slamannan, Stirlingshire for a Henry McIlwrait Stewart, that strange middle name has made a link to the past possible.

Tom

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 October 13 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi stewarty,

I have found a 1924 marriage of a Henry McI Freck Stewart to a Jeanie Compton in Shotts, Lanarkshire. Does Jeanie's name mean anything to you.

Tom

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 October 13 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi stewarty,

I had to download the Marriage certificate, the 28yo Henry McIlwraith Freckleton Stewart of 15 Lea Street, Whitburn on the 20th February 1924 in the Manse, Harthill married the 26 yo Jeanie Compton, of 11 Albert street, Harthill. Henry was a "Car Conductor"and Jeanie was a domestic servant.

Henry's parents were George Stewart and Elizabeth Freckleton (deceased), and Jeanie's were John Compton and Mary Jane McMaster, both fathers were coal miners.

Tom

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 October 13 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi stewarty,

On the LDS site, https://familysearch.org ,

I found the birth of George Stewart in Slamannan to parents William Stewart and Agnes Inverarity on 22nd October 1870.

Tom

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 October 13 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

If you live in Scotland your local Registrar may have a service to look at more modern certificates.
Think that would cost £15/£20 per hour ?
Might make more sense to spend a day at one of the family history centres  :-\

There is a Douglas Henry Stewart birth 1943 Stoneyburn West Lothian , that may tie in with a death
1988 in Dalkeith Midlothian.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 October 13 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi stewarty,

Don't download anything from SP (Scotland Peoples website) last night I downloaded your Grandfathers birth certificate, Henry McIlwraith Frickleton Stewart in Southfield, Slamannan on 31st August 1895. The Frickleton could be Freckleton or Frackleton, which it was in Ireland according to records I have found.

I have downloaded Henry's MC to Jeanie Compton, I also downloaded the MC of George Stewart and Eliza Frickleton in Slamannan Manse on 17th July 1890, Henry's parents. I have also downloaded the MC of William Stewart and Agnes Inverarity, George's parents.

There is a family tree on Ancestry, which has these people in it, I don't know if you are an Ancestry member but if not, you can join for free at www.mundia.com, I think it is.

Once you have made your 3rd post, I will PM you, if you can reply with your email address, will send you copies of the certificates.

Tom