Author Topic: James Roy born circa 1775  (Read 3420 times)

Offline kglm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Roy born circa 1775
« on: Sunday 20 October 13 05:19 BST (UK) »
James Roy born circa 1775 married Jean Innes at Elgin in 1794.

Jean Innes and James Roy had children - Margaret baptised 1795 Elgin, Ann baptised 1797 Rothes.

I was wondering if their children's baptism records, or James and Jean's marriage record, may give an occupation for James.

Online GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Roy born circa 1775
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 October 13 09:18 BST (UK) »
The information given in the parish registers varies considerably. With a baptism, you normally get an address and the names of witnesses (who may be relatives), but sometimes there is more. You don't know until you have looked. With a marriage, you often get the date the couple gave their names in for proclamation, but again, you may get the actual date of marriage, addresses and, occasionally an occupation or father's name.

The actual entries can be viewed on the ScotlandsPeople site. It is pay to view, but as you have details of dates and places, you will get the right entries first time at minimal cost.

As the first child was born the year after the marriage, if it was "very premature", there may be an entry in the kirk session minutes where the couple is charged with "antenuptial fornication". The minutes of kirk sessions can be seen in Edinburgh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 October 13 10:49 BST (UK) »
I have in my tree 24 people baptised in Rothes between 1790 and 1800. Of these, six mention the father's occupation.

Five of these are children of James Sutor, mason. He had 11 children altogether between 1780 and 1803, and most of the baptisms list his occupation.

The other one mentioning an occupation says 'farmer'. Most of the ones not mentioning an occupation resided in places outside the town, so might reasonably be expected to be farmers or crofter.

I can't do a similar exercise for Elgin, unfortunately.

In my tree is a John Roy, "tenementer in Town of Rothes" who married Jean Leslie, widow of John Douglas in 1812. They had six of a family. In the baptism of one of the children he is described as tailor and tenementer, and in the last four as carrier and tenementer. John died in 1838, after which Jean and her children by both marriages all emigrated to Australia. I am unsure who this John was. I have him down as either the son of James Roy, baptised in Rothes 1775, or the son of Joseph Roy and Helen Gordon, baptised in Rothes 1789. Probably in fact the latter, based on the names of his children, though if it is him he was 7 years younger than his wife. This may or may not be helpful.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Hulinea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 May 15 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Fortarian
I am just picking my my Leslie/Douglas/Forsyth/Roy lines before visitng Morayshire in early August 2015.  I note your comments re John Roy.  I noticed the 1838 death record on Scotlands People referred to him as Captain John Roy?  Are you able to throw any light on this?     I am also wondering where would be the best place to base ourselves for a few days while visiting that area.  Any information or suggestion very gratefully received.   On a side note, I did manage to visit Geelong where Jean and her children settled.  I was thrilled to find her grave in the short time I had there.  The monument is very difficult to read but I had a lovely photo from someone taken in the 1980s so was able to make out the inscription.  Very thrilled and very humbling experience.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 May 15 12:23 BST (UK) »
I have transcribed the death record simply as 4 November 1838: 2/- for hire of mortcloth to John Roy. [Rothes Parish Register] so if it included the word 'Captain' I did not notice it. I will have another look.

According to the baptism of his daughter Jean he was a tailor, but the baptisms of the four youngest children describe him as a carrier.

I'll PM you about the rest of your query.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.