Author Topic: Help needed with my Thomas Evans please  (Read 3153 times)

Offline neilsmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help needed with my Thomas Evans please
« on: Monday 21 October 13 13:37 BST (UK) »
I have a Thomas Evans b 1824 Llansadwrn and wife Anne (no surname) b. 1823/4 Llangadock.  As yet I have failed to find their marriage.  Their first child John was born 1845 Llangadock followed by others all born Llangadock.  I have searched and searched for the marriage of Thomas and Anne but as there are 7 Thomas Evans to Anne marriages between 1839 and Sept 1845 all regd. Llandovery I cannot identify the correct one.

The other children of this couple were John, the first born, Anne 1846, David 1849, Caroline 1854, Rees 1862 and Elizabeth 1865.  The line I am following comes down from son Rees and co-incidentally the 1845 marriages I found on freebmd included an Anne Rees !!

I would be very grateful if someone could help me determine which of the 7 marriages is the correct one.  Alternatively, would the son Rees have his mothers name on his registration in parish records or somethuing ?  Thank you to anyone who can assist.

Offline Rhosgoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Betsy Saer
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with my Thomas Evans please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 October 13 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hello neilsmum,

I would go with the Anne Rees marriage. It took place on 18 July 1845 at Llangadog - Sep 1845 Llandovery 26 739.

Marriages often took place within a few months of the first child's birth, and the mother's surname was often used as a first name for a child. Anne's father was also named David. It seems a very likely marriage.

Couldn't find a baptism for John so likely nonconformist.

Rhosgoch

Offline neilsmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 October 13 15:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that information.  I must admit that I was thinking that maybe the Anne Rees was the one being as a child was called Rees.  It does make sense seeing that the children had both the names Anne and Rees.  Thanks again.

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 October 13 15:24 BST (UK) »
the mother's maiden name would be on the birth certificates of the children

Rees Evans sept qtr 1861 Llandovery vol 11a pg 554

Have you considered that the 2 lodgers from the 1851 census could be related to Anne?

1851 Cyfarthfa, Merthyr Tydfil HO107/2459 folio 21 pg 68
Thomas Evans head mar 29 Mine Tipper Man? b. Llansadwrn
Anne wife 28
John son 6
Anne dau 5
David son 2
Rachel Rees lodger unm 21 dressmaker
William Rees lodger 15 Puddler
all born Llangadog except Thomas
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline neilsmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 October 13 15:56 BST (UK) »
Funnily enough Osprey I have just been going back over the census returns and with the thoughts of the Anne Rees marriage being the one, I too wondered if the two lodgers were indeed family members.  Thank you for the suggestion - it looks a feasible scenario.