Author Topic: Solomon Bolton /Restauranteaur/Scotland Street Kinning Park Glasgow  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Glesca lassie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Solomon Bolton /Restauranteaur/Scotland Street Kinning Park Glasgow
« on: Monday 21 October 13 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi I does anybody from Kinning Park or Tradeston remember this chip shop in Scotland Street, I would like to find some photographs or some memories of the couple who owned it Solomon and his wife Margaret m/s McMillan, any help appreciated

Regards
Mary

Offline Chesapek

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon Bolton /Restauranteaur/Scotland Street Kinning Park Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 October 13 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi can I ask do you live in Kinning Park and if so when the reason I am asking is My great grandmother lived there and I would likely find out more about her her family and the place

Rose Marie

Offline Glesca lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Rose Marie, there isn't a lot left of this area,  give me some information about your G/parents and I will see if I recognize any of these names,

Regards
Mary

Offline AndyM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 18:59 BST (UK) »
Attached Picture is Margaret ( Maggie) Bolton (1900 -1999) the Daughter of Solomon and Maggie in 1962.

Solomon died in 1932. His wife Maggie died in 1944.

Regards

AndyM

Offline Glesca lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 January 17 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Attached Picture is Margaret ( Maggie) Bolton (1900 -1999) the Daughter of Solomon and Maggie in 1962.

Solomon died in 1932. His wife Maggie died in 1944.

Regards

AndyM

Offline Glesca lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 January 17 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy, It's been a while since I have been on Roots, I am a descendant of Margaret(Maggie) Mcmillan married to Solomon Bolton , I posted a request some time ago , I would like to know how you
have this photograph, are you a relative@

Best Wishes
Mary

Offline AndyM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 January 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon Mary,

I am not related to the Boltons.  I was born in Scotland Street close to their chip shop known locally as Solly Bolton's. My family were regular customers. My sister took this photo in 1962 on a visit from her home in USA.  After your query I looked up some information on Solly Bolton. He has an interesting history.  I can't remember if I passed this on to you. I also found a photo of Daughter Maggie aged 99. I might have sent that to you already.

Regards

AndyM

Offline Glesca lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 January 17 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy, I only saw the photograph of the chip shop,  I would like to find out some more about Solly, Margaret's father David McMillan was the brother of my Grandfather Thomas McMillan, they all lived around Scotland Street, Lambhill Street and Cornwall Street, I would love to see the photograph if you are still able to send it, I am always searching for photographs, as they are few and far between in the McMillan line, and it always amazes me that photographs keep turning up when you least expect them, thank you

Best Wishes
Mary

Offline AlanGuthrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 February 21 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary and Andy,

I have just come across this page and hope that after a few years since you both last posted, you still look at Rootschat website.
My name is Alan Guthrie (age 59) and I have been tracing my family tree for the last month. I believe that my Great-Grandfather, Frank (Francis) Bolton (1886-1951) is most likely the son of Solomon (Solly) Bolton and Margaret McMillan. My Grandmother, Sarah Bolton (maiden name Lodge, 1908 - 2004) was very close to Maggie (Meg) Bolton, the woman in the photograph which I have shown to my Mum, who recognises her and says she was know as Aunt Meg. I too have a very faint recollection of Aunt Meg I have been doing quite a bit of work and currently have two separate family trees on Ancestry.com. One shows my family tree and the other is the Solly Bolton tree. I do think I am getting closer to establishing a link to both.

Andy - it would be great if you could provide the photograph of Maggie Bolton aged 99 and any information you found on the “interesting history” of Solomon Bolton. I know that before becoming a restauranteur, he was a Sheet Cutter at age 38 and worked as a miner in England at age 18 as did his father, David Bolton at age 40 when Solomon was 9 years old.

Mary any additional information you have that would help confirm my current understanding would be great. e.g. Do you know who David McMillan was married to? Do you know who Thomas McMillan was married to? The names of your Mother and Father may also help.

Thank you in anticipation.
Alan Alexander Guthrie