Author Topic: Amelia Diaper  (Read 2179 times)

Offline valevers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amelia Diaper
« on: Monday 21 October 13 17:18 BST (UK) »
I am tracing the Diaper family of Suffolk and have Amelia Diaper born 1846 Ipswich [married John William Gookey]
Amelia is the daughter of James Diaper [seaman, ships mate - I have his papers] born 25/10/1814 Ipswich and married to Eliza.
I believe James to be the son of William Diaper born 1791 Stowmarket and Martha Raydon            Is anyone tracing this family?
is William born 1791 the son of James [born abt 1767] and Elizabeth [nee Garwood]?
Any help appreciated.
Amelia and her mother are living in Southampton on 1861 Census though I can find no connection at present with the very large Diaper family of Hampshire - Any help appreciated

Offline RTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Amelia Diaper
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

A number of years ago searching the graveyard of Bitterne Parish Church, I noticed a number of DIAPER headstones.  I contacted a third cousin who is a DIAPER, but he believed there was no connection between the Suffolk ones as those in Southampton, I don’t believe the situation has changed.  This topic was also given an airing on the Suffolk Digest, at least five years ago, must be worth while double checking on this.

Also, very interested in your ELIZABETH GARWOOD.  I have a direct ancestor who I believe was born around 1774, married WILLIAM DAVEY 8th October 1799 in Great Finborough) though I have not been able to prove this. There were at least six E. Gs’ to choose from born around this sort of time, do you have any more information on this girl?

Regards

Richard

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 20:22 BST (UK) »
According to census William was born in Bramford, Suffolk ca.1793 and this must be him:

William Diaper bp.18/9/1792 Bramford, son of William and Mary?? nee Smith

There are 4 other baptisms at Bramford that all state mother as Martha nee Smith and think the Mary shown on William's baptism is an error - others were:

Amy bp.14/1/1787 Bramford, dau. of William Diaper and Martha nee Smith
James bp.17/7/1796 Bramford, son                  ditto     (died?)
Edward bp.3/8/1799 Bramford, son                  ditto
James bp.18/10/1801 Bramford, son                ditto

William Diaper of Bramford married Martha Smith 11/10/1786 Little Blakenham, Suffolk

Bramford burials show William Diaper bc.1759 bur.1/2/1829 Bramford although can't see one for wife Martha.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline valevers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 October 13 12:47 BST (UK) »
 :) :D
Many thanks to your responses re Amelia Diaper It is such an unusual surname that you would think there was a connection between Suffolk and Hampshire, especially since Amelia's father was a mariner, I have a copy of his Mates Certificate, and that they settled in Southampton in late 1850s where she married her husband John Gookey [another unusual name].
I think the William refered to in the second post is probably the right one and I did have a note of him but not all the children - so thanks for that. it gets me back a little further.
It doesn't help when the would is mis-read as Draper or similar.
And the origins of the name is interesting as it is possibly Flemmish in origin from Ypres in Belgium and angliscised over the years De Ypres, becoming D'ipers, eventually Diapers.

Offline djm24

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 February 14 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

James Diaper Born about 1766 @ Stowmarket did indeed have a son William born in 1791

I had been unable to trace what happened to him see www.suffolkdiapers.tribalpages.com

Congratulations you just found a very distant cousin I am a direct descendant of James

Offline Vella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 April 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Valevers,

This might not be connected at all but my 2xgrt grandfather was James Diaper b. 1831 London, his mother  Eliza Diaper and from the birth certificate he was "base born" and I have never been able to find his father. James (middle names William Henwood) was also a seaman and married Sarah Levett from Woodbridge, Suffolk and when she died he took his family up to South Shields and re-married a distant cousin. Sarah's father was a master mariner William Levett from Woodbridge.
This all might be coincidental but I would be interested to hear your comments.
I, too, have been told there is no connection between the Hampshire Diapers and the Suffolk ones!
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Sylvia Worth
Suffolk: Levett, King
London: Diaper, Shephard, Worth, Fletcher, Castleman
Ruane (Rowan)

Offline Ascott5787

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi I am loooking for information on John Thomas diaper originally from bury st Edmunds Suffolk, father is john Henry diaper would there be any relationship to Amelia?